I'm stumped - identify this wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerGarrett

I visited the wood recycle folks across town and saved some wood from the chipper/mulcher. Got some nice pieces (some available at classifieds) - but I couldn't identify this wood. It is obviously curly something - I thought maple - until I cut into it. I've included a picture of two blanks that show curly - almost a flame look (quite pretty) and the piece it came from. Anyone able to id it for me?

Best,
Roger Garrett

200683223414_Mystrey%20wood.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Roger, the rough piece looks almost like a fruit wood (actually looks a lot like a Peach root ball I have). And the blanks almost have a Cherry or Peach look to them. They're nice, whatever they are.

RogerGarrett

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Roger, the rough piece looks almost like a fruit wood (actually looks a lot like a Peach root ball I have). And the blanks almost have a Cherry or Peach look to them. They're nice, whatever they are.

I wondered if perhaps it was peach or apple......but I'm not familiar with those woods at all. It isn't cherry.........

I'll look at some wood samples for fruit trees - thanks for your help.

Anyone else have ideas?

Best,
Roger Garrett

RogerGarrett

Originally posted by terry q
<br />Roger

It looks like some Curly Magnolia I have. Did it have a faint sassafras smell when you cut it? Apple has a sour smell when cut. Peach has a sweet smell, I like it.

Terry

I didn't notice any odor at all when I cut it - but I can try cutting some more and pay closer attention.

Roger

chitswood

I just finished cutting a bunch of curly cottonwood, the ones in the pic look just like em'.

Cottonwood has no distinct smell, the bark looks right too.
Cottonwood feels heavy and has above average tough fiberous grain.

We use a cottonwood log for throwing the hatchets, axes, and throwing knives because the grain is tough enough to hold them in place.

let me know if you get any other leads on what it is, those look identical to the ones I cut.

RogerGarrett

Originally posted by chitswood
<br />I just finished cutting a bunch of curly cottonwood, the ones in the pic look just like em'.

Cottonwood has no distinct smell, the bark looks right too.
Cottonwood feels heavy and has above average tough fiberous grain.

Your description is absolutely dead on - is a bit fiberous, tough and heavy - but pretty. This has some "eyes" in it as well as the curl, so I think they will make some distinctive and pretty pens. I'm going to go back and look for some more of this stuff - very nice looking.

Thanks Derek. [:D]

Best,
Roger Garrett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom