I'm back, and I've made pens!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aldjmc

I am going to try to make this short. After years of lurking, I got a lathe and tools just over a year ago. I made a few pen kits as starter projects, but most were duds with one problem or another, so I've stayed away from pens for the better part of a year. (It looks so easy in the videos). Anyway, I've put a lot of wood shavings on the floor over the last 10 months or so making nothing. I recently decided to complete the few pen kits I had on hand, and am fairly pleased with the results. There is nothing special here but 2 Slimlines and 2 European Round Tops. It was my first shot at working with acrylic, and my first success at cutting tenons for a centre band. Now I just need recommendations on other kits to try!
IMG_6611.jpg

IMG_6639.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Manny

Nothing comes easy. Great start. The thing that makes these special is that you made them. Great job! Are you turning between centers? If I were you I would start learning the different finishes and find one you like. CA is my favorite. I've always found slim lines "although inexpensive " to not be the best kit to start on. They go down pretty close to the brass on the ends and always caused me issues. Never liked how my tenon pens came out.

cheers Manny

qquake

I like larger, single body pens like the Gatsby and Executive. They look great, are easier to turn, and more forgiving. Once you have some experience with those, I would move up to Cigar (Cuban, Big Ben) pens. They're beefy and impressive, but still relatively easy to turn.

Attachments

• 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 067.jpg
    067.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    322.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    316.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 079.jpg
    079.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 083.jpg
    083.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 142

EricRN

I am going to try to make this short. After years of lurking, I got a lathe and tools just over a year ago. I made a few pen kits as starter projects, but most were duds with one problem or another, so I've stayed away from pens for the better part of a year. (It looks so easy in the videos). Anyway, I've put a lot of wood shavings on the floor over the last 10 months or so making nothing. I recently decided to complete the few pen kits I had on hand, and am fairly pleased with the results. There is nothing special here but 2 Slimlines and 2 European Round Tops. It was my first shot at working with acrylic, and my first success at cutting tenons for a centre band. Now I just need recommendations on other kits to try!
View attachment 233521
View attachment 233522
Those look real nice. Especially the euros.

aldjmc

Nothing comes easy. Great start. The thing that makes these special is that you made them. Great job! Are you turning between centers? If I were you I would start learning the different finishes and find one you like. CA is my favorite. I've always found slim lines "although inexpensive " to not be the best kit to start on. They go down pretty close to the brass on the ends and always caused me issues. Never liked how my tenon pens came out.

cheers Manny
Thanks. Not turned between centers but that is a technique I will try eventually. My mandrel seems to be ok so far. As for finishing, I tried a CA finish on another pen (one that is in the collection of "what not to do" pens due to a poor center band), the finish looks great, but I need better ventilation if I am going to go down that route. My eyes were burning for hours afterward. And ya, I'm not a fan of slimlines because they are either super dainty, or dumb looking IMHO.

aldjmc

I like larger, single body pens like the Gatsby and Executive. They look great, are easier to turn, and more forgiving. Once you have some experience with those, I would move up to Cigar (Cuban, Big Ben) pens. They're beefy and impressive, but still relatively easy to turn.
Wow. Those are beautiful pens! I have a Cigar Kit out in my shop, but need a bigger blank. Thanks for recommendation on kits to try.

qquake

A 3/4" x 5" blank should be big enough for the Cigar. Although, you can use two shorter blanks. I've made them with one black blank. I kind of like the contrast.

Attachments

• done01.JPG
    done01.JPG
    329.2 KB · Views: 103
  • done01.JPG
    done01.JPG
    249.8 KB · Views: 105
  • done01.JPG
    done01.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 103
Top Bottom