if

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

its_virgil

I made my first pentel conversion in 2004. There was not much information so those of us who wanted to make them were flying by the seat of our pants. My first ones were made using two drill bits...6" aircraft bits. An article I wrote is in the library.

Later I made a special drill bit (like the one in the article referenced at the end of this article). It worked somewhat well for making that final drilling for the mechanism to go through. Then I found a guy who would grind a regular bit into a step bit and I had several made and offered them here.

Step bits and special mandrels were available from John Grounds and his mandrel works very nicely. I used his mandrel for several years. Then, my friend, the late Richard Klienhenz came up with a very clever way to make them using 7mm tubes and the slimline mushroom shapped clip finial. They are so much easier to make using Rich's technique. The two pictured here were made following Rich's article. I have supplied a link to the article. I only wish I had thought of this ideal first. The article was first published in the now closed Woodturning Design Magazine.

Give it a try if you've been wanting to make the Pentel conversion.

Unfortunately the thread title cannot be edited. Can this be changed?

Do a good turn daily!
Don

pentel pair 8222020.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@its_virgil

Thanks for all this info, Don !!! . The wood barrels sure beat the original barrel !!

I think the title could be changed if you contact one of the admins.

Top Bottom