Idea from fly fishing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I have a set of Micro Mesh pads and keep the chart over the lathe for identification. OK, fly anglers mark their fly lines with a code of dots and dashes. Dots show the weight: four dots is four weight, a line is five weight, dot and line is six weight. I made sure the MM pads were in proper order and marked them with a permanent Sharpie, one through nine. Photo attached.
20240510_144227.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

I do something similar. On one side I use dots, sort of like you have in the picture, but I only use dots. Although I still use dots on the side, I have started to simply write the numbers 1 through 9 right on the face of the pad -- in the upper right corner on one side and in the upper left corner on the other side so I can not only tell what number I am on, but also which side of the pad I am using. So far the marks appear to be permanent (as they should be with a Sharpie) and they don't seem to wear off or deposit any kind of ink onto the blank (that is noticeable anyway). - Dave

greenacres2

I stack them, then use a Sharpie to make a V on the side of the stack (actually, 2 Vs--one side gets a black V, an adjacent side gets a red V). When i drop the bowl on the floor, it's real easy to reassemble the V as i pick them up!! (not that i've done that more than a dozen times!!)

jttheclockman

I do not know who it was but I am sure with all the 3D printers these days that someone can come up with a tray that is water resistant and has 2 sections. You stack the pads in one section and as you use the next pad you keep stacking in the second part of the tray. Someone here made this type item and if you do a search I think you will find it. So I get a royality for this idea when the 3D makers jump on this and start selling them here. Have at it. I am sure there are better ideas like have the trays on an angle some instead of piling on top of one another. Or even have dividers in the trays. use your imagination and see what you come up with.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2900109

https://www.penturners.org/threads/micro-mesh-holders-with-water-tray.164586/

Last edited:

Woodchipper

jttcm, I use lunch meat containers. Free and last for ages. I also put kits and blanks in them to keep everything separate until turning time. The MM are from Woodcraft so there is no problem with mixing brands. After I leave the store, I peek inside. They break out the champagne to celebrate my sale.

crunch

I just use a sharpie to write down the grit. When using them I also stack them up proper with the numbers in correct orientation then I use that side only. They wear out then you flip them over

Attachments

• mmgrits.JPG
    mmgrits.JPG
    459.3 KB · Views: 19

Woodchipper

They are in a line in a plastic container which has a bit of water. As I use them, I move the one to the back of the line.

Top Bottom