Idea for spacers in segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmaxcy

Any suggestions on what to use for a metallic looking spacer between segments? I think I heard someone mention an aluminum can at some point...

New to segmenting want to give it a whirl with something simple for my first go.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

This was a project that was started and I believe it was not completed or maybe it was and I could not find it. Anyway it has a section for segmenting with various materials and some sources. Metals is listed. Yes cans have been used and some still use them but you need to take care to strip the paint and also the coating on the inside of the can for it to be effective. Roof flashing is a nice thickness to work with and comes in various forms in home centers. Rolls or squares. Just scuff with some sandpaper and good to go. I highly highly highly recommend using epoxy when gluing metals. CA will break free.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/segmenting-material-resources-draft-library-article.167867/

leehljp

Member Liaison
Cans are easy to start with. Different thicknesses add different looks and each contributes its own quality. MacMaser Carr, Hobby Lobby, Turner's Warehouse, local stores - look for different thicknesses. I have various thicknesses of aluminum, brass and copper on hand just for such times as needed. Those really add to the design and attractiveness of pens.

Don't forget to look to different flat sheets of plastic also - Black, red, blue, green, yellow, tans etc.

Top Bottom