IAP Smartphone App Discussions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
New Charts and Database

Wayne has posted new bushing & tube charts to the IAP Library. All supplier charts have been updated with many new kits, some corrections and lots of editing for more consistency in kit names & descriptions. We have also added charts for two more suppliers: Little River Crafts and Wood World of Texas.

I have also updated the Bushings & Tubes app database on the IAP server with all of Wayne's latest chart info.

If you have the auto download setting enabled in your app, it will be able to download those updates without your having to do anything else (except have an Internet connection for a few minutes).

Let me know if you have any problems getting your database updated and please let us know if you find any errors, discrepancies, typos, etc in these charts or in the app.

Edgar

Hawkeye53

This is an absolutely awesome app. Easily the most used I app that I own!!!

I do have auto update enabled, but seem to be missing kits such as ProX, Spiritual, Tiny Giant, Himalayan, Loki, Lester. If I reached out to the various distributors and gathered in the information for update, would that be helpful or do you have an easier method of find the information on your own?

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
This is an absolutely awesome app. Easily the most used I app that I own!!!

I do have auto update enabled, but seem to be missing kits such as ProX, Spiritual, Tiny Giant, Himalayan, Loki, Lester. If I reached out to the various distributors and gathered in the information for update, would that be helpful or do you have an easier method of find the information on your own?

Thanks - we appreciate it!

It is difficult to keep up with all the new pen kits, but we try. Himalayan and Loki are new kits from Bear Tooth Woods. They will be added to their chart very soon.

ProX, Spiritual & Tiny Giant are Turner's Warehouse and/or Signature Pen Supply kits. We do not currently have charts on their offerings, but they are on our "to do" list. One issue is that neither of them seem to have their instructions and dimension information available on line.

Wayne (our librarian) is attempting to contact all suppliers who do not have instructions & dimensions available on line to obtain that information so we can build charts for them. I'm sure that he would welcome your assistance in this effort. Please send him a pm and see what help he could use.

I'm not familiar with the Lester - who is the manufacturer/supplier for that one?

Thanks
Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Updated iOS app coming soon

We have submitted an update of the iOS app to the Apple Store. It usually takes 1-2 weeks to go through the Apple review process before the new version will be available for download.

The new version will have several neat features:

Favorites - you will now be able to create a list of your favorite kits from your favorite suppliers to get quicker access to those kits rather than having to scroll or search through the entire database.

Reorder Suppliers - you will now be able to reorder the database in whatever supplier order you prefer rather than being limited to the default ordering.

Calculator - the new version will include a 30-digit, 4-function calculator with some advanced features that are not found in most simple calculator apps.

Instruction & photo files will be downloaded from the IAP server rather than being embedded in the app. This will substantially reduce the size of the distributed download. We currently have over 1,600 kits from 20 suppliers and over 700 instruction files. More are being added.

Thanks for your suggestions to help us improve the app. Here's some screen shots of the new features.

Sorry, but there is no new news regarding any other platforms at this time.

Attachments

• 5 - FavoritesScreenShot.jpg
    5 - FavoritesScreenShot.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 214
  • 5_Supplier.jpg
    5_Supplier.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 256
  • 4s Calculator Screenshot.jpg
    4s Calculator Screenshot.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 248

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Updated iOS App is Ready for Download

Ver 1.06 of the Bushings & Tubes app is now available for download from the Apple App Store.

See post #46 above for the new features in this version. Now that the instruction, bushing & photo files are downloaded from the IAP Server rather than being embedded in the app, the app is much smaller and will download from the App Store in just a few seconds. However, once you start the app, it may take 20 minutes( or more, depending on your Internet connection speed) for the app to download all the files.

This will not affect your ability to use the app right away. The file downloads occur in the background the app will add icons to the Kit Details pages for instructions, bushings and photo files as they are downloaded. You don't have to do anything except be a little patient the first time you use the updated app.

Wayne will post an updated App User Guide to the library as soon as he can. In the meantime, I have included a copy with this post.

Enjoy the new features & please let us know if you have any issues with the new version or if you have any suggestions for improving the app.

Edgar

Attachments

• AppUserGuide r3.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 246

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Our IAP Bushings & Tubes App reached 700 downloads in November and is rapidly approaching 800 downloads.

Thanks for your continued support and use of the app. Please send me any suggestions that you might have for improving the app.

Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Over 900 copies of our IAP Bushings & Tubes app have been downloaded from the Apple App Store to date.

We are working on updates to our database, but I can't give an ETA for when they will be available just yet.

We continue to appreciate your comments & suggestions for improvement to the app.

Edgar

Jtvinny

Edgar,
My problem may be unique to me thanks to my scatterbrained approach to turning and my poor organization but I wish there was a way to search the information for a tube of x diameter and y length (+/- a given amount). I know how I would do this if I had access to the spreadsheet but I do not have that on my phone.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Edgar,
My problem may be unique to me thanks to my scatterbrained approach to turning and my poor organization but I wish there was a way to search the information for a tube of x diameter and y length (+/- a given amount). I know how I would do this if I had access to the spreadsheet but I do not have that on my phone.

There is limited capability along those lines at the present time. For example, the Bolt Action kits have a tube length of 1.97" and a diameter of 0.368". You can enter a search term of 1.9 .36 (leaving a space between the two numbers) and the app will return a list of kits with the same dimensions or slight variations such as the Southwest (1.92 & 0.368) and Flat Top American (1.99 & 0.368).

This particular search will also find kits matching just one of those terms (such as the Chairman with 1.97 & 0.268) because the search looks for matches on any of the terms in any field.

The search algorithm is pretty basic at the present time, but we may add more sophistication in the future to allow such things as AND (match all terms), specific parameters rather than any parameter, and range bounds rather than exact matches.

I can't give you any time frame or promises on such additional capability, but we do appreciate your suggestions and will take them into consideration.

Thanks
Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Would this app be compatible with my Windows PC if I download the iTunes app? Thanks.

Short answer is no.

It only runs on iOS devices like iPhone, iPad & iPod. Although there may be iOS emulaters available, the user experience would be nothing like that of an actual device. The app uses a lot of gesture features that do not perform well in emulation environments.

Last edited:

Rolandranch

Short answer is no.

It only runs on iOS devices like iPhone, iPad & iPod. Although there may be iOS emulaters available, the user experience would be nothing like that of an actual device. The app uses a lot of gesture features that do not perform well in emulation environments.
Thank you for your quick response. I hope this app will be available for Android or PC in the future.

Rolandranch

Is there any way I could get the bushing/tube chart in a different format than PDF? It would be extremely helpful and save a lot of time if I could do a word search (you can't do a word search with PDF). Thanks again.

abaum

Just downloaded the app for my iPad. I love the content, but i am having some trouble using the app. Where do I change the settings? I found how to sort and search, but the built in manual mentions a settings feature where I can set email address, auto download, etc. I can not find the Setting menu anywhere.

Adam

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Missing PDFs & Photos on IAP Bush N Tubes App

Several folks have reported issues of no PDF files or photos in the iOS version of the IAP Bushings & Tubes app recently.

I believe this only occurs with new phones using iOS 12.0 (older phones upgraded to iOS 12.0 probably do not have the problem as long as the app was installed prior to the iOS 12.0 upgrade).

Note: the problem is not with the app or the IAP server - it was apparently some kind of bug in iOS 12.0 but I was not able to determine exactly what. As far as I can tell though, whatever 12.0 bug was blocking the file downloads seems to be fixed in version 12.1.

If you have experienced this problem, please update your phone with the latest 12.1 release. I upgraded my XS Max to iOS 12.1.2 today and the app immediately started downloading the files after the phone rebooted.

The complete download may take 20-30 minutes. If you still don't see the PDFs & photos after an hour or so, try deleting and reinstalling the app. If it still doesn't work, please send me a message. Be sure to include your phone type and memory size.

Edgar

Last edited:

Vinglo

I have downloaded the app today and it's not working for me. I have an iPod touch with the latest OS. I start the app, I see the welcome screen, then everything is black. I tried waiting to see if the app was downloading something and then would show something but nothing happened after*5 minutes.
I really don't understand what is happening.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I have downloaded the app today and it's not working for me. I have an iPod touch with the latest OS. I start the app, I see the welcome screen, then everything is black. I tried waiting to see if the app was downloading something and then would show something but nothing happened after*5 minutes.
I really don't understand what is happening.

A few questions:
1. Exact model of your iPod & iOS version
2. Total memory & free memory of your iPod
Pls send me a PM with this info

I can only think of two possibilities offhand:
1. Perhaps you did not get a good download. Try deleting the app & download it again.
2. The support files for the app require about 609MB of memory. Make sure you have at least 1GB of free space.

If the problem persists, I'll try to test on a simulator to see if there is an iPod/iOS issue of some sort. I don't have an actual iPod myself.

Edgar

edstreet

What happened to this app? It's still on my phone. With very little problems. Was wondering if there are any plans on updating the info for kits etc. also noticed it's no longer on the App Store.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
We had to unexpectedly change servers where the data is housed. That's going to require a small code change in both apps. Why the app is not showing up in the store is a mystery to me at this moment. I've been investigating.

Top Bottom