IAP...MN April Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eajacobson

Looking ahead, I'm assuming we want to continue the meetings, at least another month or two before summer hits. I checked and Sunday April 19 is open at Woodcraft in Bloomington. That appeared to be the only available Sunday, and they had no available Saturdays. Sorry to those that can't make a Sunday meeting date - it looks like Saturdays are booked at the usual locations.

Is there any comments or suggestions for an April meeting on the 19th at Woodcraft?

I have not booked the room, as I thought a bit of discussion here and at the March meeting would be best first.

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

endacoz

Rockler might have room. I talked to them today and they said they just got all new management and do not utilize their glass room space enough.
Robert Sorby will be there in 2 Saturday's for all day free demo.

Attachments

• IMAG0001.jpg
    IMAG0001.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 208

Sprung

I can't make it to a Sunday meeting, but thanks for the heads up/reminder on the Sorby demonstration, Ethan! I'm hoping I can head up to the Sorby demonstration on either the 27th at the Burnsville location or the 28th at the Maplewood location. I currently turn with carbide tools, but got a number of Sorby tools with a Craigslist lathe score in December. I would really like to learn how to sharpen and use them properly - I'm a visual learner and don't know any turners local to me who I can spend some time with learning from. While I haven't met any of you yet, maybe I'll run into one of you at one of the Sorby demos.

eajacobson

For general sharpening and tool use help, check out the Minnesota Woodturners Association (Minnesota Woodturners). They hold regular classes on those topics. Classes are open to non-members, but tend to fill fast, so being a member helps in hearing about them before they are filled.

I've been trying to find a location for a Saturday meeting, but both Rockler and Woodcraft have indicated that their Saturdays are typically filled with classes or demos for the store. At least whenever I've asked about a given month, all the Saturdays have been taken more than a month in advance.

If we had a demo that did not need a lathe or other equipment, maybe a meeting room at a Davanni's Pizza, or something like that, could be found for a Saturday. I'll have to remember to ask at the meeting this Sunday to see if something might be able to be arranged.

Ed

I can't make it to a Sunday meeting, but thanks for the heads up/reminder on the Sorby demonstration, Ethan! I'm hoping I can head up to the Sorby demonstration on either the 27th at the Burnsville location or the 28th at the Maplewood location. I currently turn with carbide tools, but got a number of Sorby tools with a Craigslist lathe score in December. I would really like to learn how to sharpen and use them properly - I'm a visual learner and don't know any turners local to me who I can spend some time with learning from. While I haven't met any of you yet, maybe I'll run into one of you at one of the Sorby demos.

Sprung

For general sharpening and tool use help, check out the Minnesota Woodturners Association (Minnesota Woodturners). They hold regular classes on those topics. Classes are open to non-members, but tend to fill fast, so being a member helps in hearing about them before they are filled.

I've been trying to find a location for a Saturday meeting, but both Rockler and Woodcraft have indicated that their Saturdays are typically filled with classes or demos for the store. At least whenever I've asked about a given month, all the Saturdays have been taken more than a month in advance.

If we had a demo that did not need a lathe or other equipment, maybe a meeting room at a Davanni's Pizza, or something like that, could be found for a Saturday. I'll have to remember to ask at the meeting this Sunday to see if something might be able to be arranged.

Ed

I've given a little thought to joining MWA, and just might, even though I'm a little over 2 hours southwest of the Cities. I probably wouldn't make it to very many meetings, but it would still be cool.

eajacobson

We discussed options for an April meeting this afternoon, and have the following planned:

- Show and tell (especially of the blanks that have been distributed at the February and March meetings!).
- Sunday, April 19 is the date.
- Woodcraft will be checked to confirm and reserve availability.
- If anyone wants to do a demo, we will go for that and hold the show-and-tell for a later date (of course, everyone is always encouraged to bring things to show and share at every meeting).

On a related point, how far into the Spring do we want to keep these going? How much of the Summer do we want to take off?

Any other feedback or comments to help us keep things going for the Spring or in the Fall, please join in.

Thanks,
Ed

eajacobson

We are confirmed for Woodcraft in Bloomington on Sunday April 19th. No demo, but please bring an item (or more) to show and share your experiences and experiments. Especially looking for what you've turned from the blanks and such that have traded hands at the last few meetings, but anything you've done will do.

Social gathering at Noon, meeting starts at 1:00.

Ed

eajacobson

Technically, it is Saturday, so:

Meeting is tomorrow. Noon starts the social gathering, 1:00 PM for the meeting, but with a show-and-tell topic, is there much difference? :)

It looks like it is going to be raining, so you won't be able to do any yard work, why not come out and join us for a fun afternoon at Woodcraft in Bloomington?

Ed

eajacobson

A good meeting of a small group today. Lots of discussion and ideas shared.

One item that came up from this was that we likely will forgo the monthly meetings for the rest of the Summer, but we would be interested in setting up a picnic/pot luck. Likely a July or August weekend. I understand that Summer is the busy time in Minnesota, but will try to get something sorted out.

I'll start two new threads - one for discussing the next monthly meeting, and one for the picnic. Please check them out and respond to those threads to help get the best options picked.

Thanks,
Ed

Top Bottom