IAP Buckeye Burl Accord Pen!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jmaxcy

Jmaxcy

I'm calling this my IAP pen because everything was sourced from IAP members.

buckeye burl credit to @rockb
Accord pen kit credit to @southernclay
Assembly assist to @magpens
Final sizing tools, jigs and guidance to @mmayo and @rherrell

also first pen I've done using calipers rather than relying on bushings. What a difference it makes!

Any thoughts let me know, but really a testament to the benefits of the group overall
Thanks everyone

1621902472530.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@Jmaxcy
What a lovely looking pen !!

Now that you have made a pen without using bushings ... what do you think ? ... will you continue using calipers as your primary "sizing" guide ?

I have been using calipers only for years now and I am much happier with the results compared to using bushings.

I measure the diameter of the mating component, add 0.006" to that, and then turn down to that size.
Why do I add the 0.006" to the target diameter ? . To compensate for the little bit that comes off due to sanding.
Actually, my aim is to make the pen barrel just a tiny bit larger than the mating component because I like that look far better than undersize.
I have grown to really like the slightly oversize that results from doing a CA finish as well.

Hope that's a useful tip.

You have made a point of focusing on the support there is from many members of IAP. . Thanks for that. . I LOVE that aspect of "belonging" also !!
It has been a constant source of inspiration and encouragement to me over the years.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Wow, that sure is pretty. It's a wonderful blank, and you did a top job with the turning and finish.

Well done.

Jmaxcy

@Jmaxcy
What a lovely looking pen !!

Now that you have made a pen without using bushings ... what do you think ? ... will you continue using calipers as your primary "sizing" guide ?

I have been using calipers only for years now and I am much happier with the results compared to using bushings.

I measure the diameter of the mating component, add 0.006" to that, and then turn down to that size.
Why do I add the 0.006" to the target diameter ? . To compensate for the little bit that comes off due to sanding.
Actually, my aim is to make the pen barrel just a tiny bit larger than the mating component because I like that look far better than undersize.
I have grown to really like the slightly oversize that results from doing a CA finish as well.

Hope that's a useful tip.

You have made a point of focusing on the support there is from many members of IAP. . Thanks for that. . I LOVE that aspect of "belonging" also !!
It has been a constant source of inspiration and encouragement to me over the years.
I had been meaning to try but turning this kit forced my hand because woodcraft no longer sells this kit or the bushings. But very pleased with the results. I don't think my calipers actually have measurements so I used them to measure the outside of the top and bottom and stopped just shy of that point. By the time I had sanded I was a little undersized so just did a couple extra coats of CA to accommodate. I'll probably continue to use the calipers going forward, but use the bushings as a rough guide.

rockb

Turned out wonderfully well Jerald. Thanks for sharing pics and credits to those who "helped". : )

magpens

I had been meaning to try but turning this kit forced my hand because woodcraft no longer sells this kit or the bushings. But very pleased with the results. I don't think my calipers actually have measurements so I used them to measure the outside of the top and bottom and stopped just shy of that point. By the time I had sanded I was a little undersized so just did a couple extra coats of CA to accommodate. I'll probably continue to use the calipers going forward, but use the bushings as a rough guide.

You need to get calipers with a LED digital readout. . You should be able to get a cheap set for around $20-, but I would recommend spending $30+ to get a decent set. . Using calipers which don't "actually have measurements", as you put it, is flying blind and you will be prone to errors.
You can also buy calipers which will make an accurate measurement but without the digital readout. . But using those is more tricky and can take a little time to learn. . It is much better to have the readout.

J, I'm pretty sure this is a great looking pen based on the write ups from the other members and I really appreciate you giving credit to those that helped. However, if I might be so bold as to make a friendly suggestion. I'm color blind (more color sensitive) and when like colors are put next to each other my brain says "oh, these are all the same color". In the case of your pen I can't see it other than the Chrome parts. Using a contrasting color, say blue or even black, in the background lets people like me see what you've done. I look forward to seeing your work in the near future.

magpens

You need to get calipers with a digital readout. . You should be able to get a cheap set for around $20-, but I would recommend spending $30+ to get a decent set. . Using calipers which don't "actually have measurements", as you put it, is flying blind and you will be prone to errors.
You can also buy calipers which will make an accurate measurement but without the digital readout. . But using those is more tricky and can take a little time to learn. . It is much better to have the readout.

@Jmaxcy
I previously made a mistake in relation to the digital readout. . Mistake removed.

Jmaxcy

J, I'm pretty sure this is a great looking pen based on the write ups from the other members and I really appreciate you giving credit to those that helped. However, if I might be so bold as to make a friendly suggestion. I'm color blind (more color sensitive) and when like colors are put next to each other my brain says "oh, these are all the same color". In the case of your pen I can't see it other than the Chrome parts. Using a contrasting color, say blue or even black, in the background lets people like me see what you've done. I look forward to seeing your work in the near future.
Thank you for the feedback.

I have a lot of work to do on improving my visual presentation of my pens. Was actually planning on using a piece of ambrosia maple I have laying around to make a stand, but Haven't gotten around to it yet.

Appreciate the advice and will certainly keep that in mind. Thanks!
Jerald

Top Bottom