I think I have a disease...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

I started taking inventory today... :eek:

This isn't even all of it. Aside from some missing batches of pen blanks, this doesn't even include the piles and stacks and reams of LOGS that I have as well! o_O

Turning Blanks (and lumber):

IMG_20231208_235957.jpg

IMG_20231209_000009.jpg

IMG_20231209_000029.jpg

IMG_20231209_001042.jpg

IMG_20231209_000319.jpg

Pen Blanks:

IMG_20231209_000138.jpg

IMG_20231209_000433.jpg

IMG_20231209_000747.jpg

(That box on the right is a whole pile of legit vintage Galalith (similar to bakelite or celluloid) rods! Forgot I bought those, from a website in France. IIRC many date back to 50's and earlier. I seem to be missing another one of these cases full of most of my TruStone, although I'm sure it will show up somewhere...)

I can't seem to stop myself. Every time I see a pretty, unusual, antique or otherwise incredible blank...I can't help but buy it!! 😭

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

d_bondi

Jon, that is amazing.
I'm pretty sure I have an earlier stage of this disease. This has given me a glimpse into my future, of a more advanced case/stage. :eek:

jrista

Jon, that is amazing.
I'm pretty sure I have an earlier stage of this disease. This has given me a glimpse into my future, of a more advanced case/stage. :eek:
Be careful...next thing you know, you'll be taking a second mortgage out on your house to fuel your NEEED!! 🤣

jttheclockman

I wish my stack was in some sort of order as yours. It is all over the basement. I have things I do not remember buying and yet they were impulse buys It is a disease for sure. It could be worse.

derekdd

In the guitar world we call it Gear Acquisition Syndrome, aka GAS.

Not sure what we'd call it here.

Looking at your photos, I need to become more organized, particularly with pen blanks.

KMCloonan

I had the same reaction as Mark. I saw the first photo and figured you had some nice blanks stored by your front door.

Then I scrolled down.

You have it bad. Really bad. And there's no cure. But everything is well organized, and you have an awesome variety so I think you are a high functioning blankaholic. Keep on Keeping on.

jrista

I wish my stack was in some sort of order as yours. It is all over the basement. I have things I do not remember buying and yet they were impulse buys It is a disease for sure. It could be worse.
It was all over the place. Started organizing it yesterday. Some things are still a mess, but, hopefully tomorrow I'll have a chance to organize more. I need to get more things labeled for easier location when I'm going to make something.

jrista

I had the same reaction as Mark. I saw the first photo and figured you had some nice blanks stored by your front door.

Then I scrolled down.

You have it bad. Really bad. And there's no cure. But everything is well organized, and you have an awesome variety so I think you are a high functioning blankaholic. Keep on Keeping on.
Blankaholic!! That's it! That's the disease!

Truth be told, the largish collection of bowl, platter and vessel blanks was fairly intentional. A lot of the wood I buy or otherwise acquire is green, and it takes a while to dry. So I started acquiring in 2020. Many of those pieces only really became dry enough to turn without movement earlier this year, so, I think that part is on point.

I think its really the pen blankitis that is the real disease. :p I probably have enough blanks to turn pens for the next 5 years... !!

jrista

Welll, I found....MOAR!!! These are mostly my more exotic and specialty pen blanks, that I've been collecting for about three years now.

IMG_20231209_132342.jpg

This includes some real exotics, such as the amazing acrylics from Vermont Freehand, as well as a bunch of Conway Stuart, Erinoid and a few other classic or old out of business manufacturer blanks (real ones). This includes some casein blanks and other interesting or less common materials than we generally use today. (Honestly, been kind of afraid to use these so far! Tried a couple, but, they were expensive, and I feel I really need to make sure I have the skill to make the pens that use these really worth the time, effort and ultimately money!) The VF acrylics are drop dead gorgeous, for those who have never seen them (bin on the far right):

IMG_20231209_132359.jpg

Various (mostly) wood blanks that I've bought from sellers here in IAP! Some truly amazing blanks, in some of the most amazing colors, figure, or both (there is also a batch of angle cut laminate woods that I bought from PSI, to the middle right):

IMG_20231209_132414.jpg

IMG_20231209_132420.jpg

About 2/3rds of my collection of TruStone and similar. I have others, and have actually used a decent number of TruStone or other simstone blanks, so this is not the full collection I used to have. Most of these, I cut myself from these 1.5x1.5x6-7" blocks (you can see some of these larger blocks, purples and one is "turtle shell", in the bin to the top), which is a far more cost effective way to get some of these blanks. I must have a bundle somewhere else as well, because I also have several of the gold matrix and copper matrix blanks, in black onyx, red jasper, and turquoise. Not quite sure where all of those are ATM. They might be in the wall of blanks I shared earlier. Also kind of been afraid to turn those, as they are quite expensive and I've also wanted to make sure I had the skill to do them justice. So, for now, they (the ones with gold and copper) sit, mostly. ;)

IMG_20231209_132445.jpg

A collection of various ebonite blanks. Really like this material for its vintage look and feel, and the legit history it has with classic pen manufacturers. I have been purchasing and experimenting with chasing ebonite. I have been working with both my laser engraver and Pen Wizard. Both are capable, however for some patterns I think only the laser engraver will work for what I want to do. The real trick for "laser chasing" if you will, has been getting patterns to match up properly. Its an art in creating seamless textures, which is sometimes more challenging than you would think!

Most of these came from Vermont Freehand, notably the three in the upper right. Particularly fond of those three. Really love the green one! Some came from other sources.

IMG_20231209_132429.jpg

My collection of true vintage Galalith, sometimes called French Bakelite (although apparently, it was invented in Germany!) with some of these rods dating to around the 50s or earlier. Some are from the 70s. Apparently the factory that was manufacturing these slowed down significantly in the early 80s and was out of business by the early 90s. There are a couple sets that you can tell are newer, some have that wonderful cracking you get with very old resins. Love this stuff! I have a few bakelite pieces, and some other forms of vintage or historical plastics floating around somewhere...might be in the "wall of blanks" I shared earlier:

IMG_20231209_132451.jpg

IMG_20231209_132514.jpg

I think there are still more, scattered about. But, for the most part, this is the bulk of what I have.

howsitwork

Welll, I found....MOAR!!! These are mostly my more exotic and specialty pen blanks, that I've been collecting for about three years now.

View attachment 364424

This includes some real exotics, such as the amazing acrylics from Vermont Freehand, as well as a bunch of Conway Stuart, Erinoid and a few other classic or old out of business manufacturer blanks (real ones). This includes some casein blanks and other interesting or less common materials than we generally use today. (Honestly, been kind of afraid to use these so far! Tried a couple, but, they were expensive, and I feel I really need to make sure I have the skill to make the pens that use these really worth the time, effort and ultimately money!) The VF acrylics are drop dead gorgeous, for those who have never seen them (bin on the far right):

View attachment 364425

Various (mostly) wood blanks that I've bought from sellers here in IAP! Some truly amazing blanks, in some of the most amazing colors, figure, or both (there is also a batch of angle cut laminate woods that I bought from PSI, to the middle right):

View attachment 364426

View attachment 364427

About 2/3rds of my collection of TruStone and similar. I have others, and have actually used a decent number of TruStone or other simstone blanks, so this is not the full collection I used to have. Most of these, I cut myself from these 1.5x1.5x6-7" blocks (you can see some of these larger blocks, purples and one is "turtle shell", in the bin to the top), which is a far more cost effective way to get some of these blanks. I must have a bundle somewhere else as well, because I also have several of the gold matrix and copper matrix blanks, in black onyx, red jasper, and turquoise. Not quite sure where all of those are ATM. They might be in the wall of blanks I shared earlier. Also kind of been afraid to turn those, as they are quite expensive and I've also wanted to make sure I had the skill to do them justice. So, for now, they (the ones with gold and copper) sit, mostly. ;)

View attachment 364428

A collection of various ebonite blanks. Really like this material for its vintage look and feel, and the legit history it has with classic pen manufacturers. I have been purchasing and experimenting with chasing ebonite. I have been working with both my laser engraver and Pen Wizard. Both are capable, however for some patterns I think only the laser engraver will work for what I want to do. The real trick for "laser chasing" if you will, has been getting patterns to match up properly. Its an art in creating seamless textures, which is sometimes more challenging than you would think!

Most of these came from Vermont Freehand, notably the three in the upper right. Particularly fond of those three. Really love the green one! Some came from other sources.

View attachment 364429

My collection of true vintage Galalith, sometimes called French Bakelite (although apparently, it was invented in Germany!) with some of these rods dating to around the 50s or earlier. Some are from the 70s. Apparently the factory that was manufacturing these slowed down significantly in the early 80s and was out of business by the early 90s. There are a couple sets that you can tell are newer, some have that wonderful cracking you get with very old resins. Love this stuff! I have a few bakelite pieces, and some other forms of vintage or historical plastics floating around somewhere...might be in the "wall of blanks" I shared earlier:

View attachment 364430
View attachment 364431

I think there are still more, scattered about. But, for the most part, this is the bulk of what I have.
As long as SWMBO doesn't see the photos , or even worse trip over the blanks , you should survive!

I feel it's our duty to offer to help you with this " disease " / Obsession , minor overstock . Should we send forwarding addresses in ?…🤔

jrista

As long as SWMBO doesn't see the photos , or even worse trip over the blanks , you should survive!

I feel it's our duty to offer to help you with this " disease " / Obsession , minor overstock . Should we send forwarding addresses in ?…🤔

If you all need a cure for this disease, PM and I'll forward you my address and relief you of such disease 🤣

/me hides all blanks...

Top Bottom