I should share a pic of my shop soon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerGarrett

Here is a pic of my shop's ceiling (!). When I get it cleaned up later this week - I'll post a pic of the entire shop.

We extended the third car stall by 32 feet with a double door entrance from the garage. It's heated via gas and has two vents from the house for AC (not enough so I had to install a window AC). It is 32 X 14 less the stairs going to the basement. Tight - but useful.

Pics to follow.

Roger Garrett

20064141153_New%20House%20shop%20lights.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RogerGarrett

Originally posted by dubdrvrkev
<br />Can't be too dirty, I don't see anything hanging from the lights.

Sorry - I should have been more specific. We built the house three years ago - that's when this picture was taken - it was empty at the time. The shop is now very full and has been in use for that amount of time. It's just a darn complete and utter mess right now - shavings, dust, wood scraps, etc. Tools everywhere - I would be very embarrassed to post a pic of it the way it is. I'm going to clean it up as I have a lot of small cases to make this weekend (already routed and ready for hinge slots) and want to clean up the area for when I sit down on the stool for three hours assembling, sanding, and getting ready for spray lacquer. At that point, hopefully, I will have organized a little and can share.

I'm jealous of people with separate buildings that have lots of space and natural lighting. If I ever move and build again I'm going to put a bit more emphasis into shop space. The guy who altered the existing house plan prior to building is also a woodworker. He told me that 9 out of 10 guys who try to include this kind of an idea into the design end up losing the space due to overbudget or trying to cut back - usually because of the wife (!) My wife was very supportive - I think because she was very tired of dust, shavings, etc. being tracked into the house via the garage entrance...........

JimGo - naw - not making fun of you. You're my hero! [:D]

Roger

M

Mudder

Originally posted by RogerGarrett
<br /> It is 32 X 14 less the stairs going to the basement. Tight - but useful.

Just shy of 450 sq. ft. and it's too tight?

Dude, you S~&K! I have about 12' x 12' of useable space.

Pipes

Its easy to picture mine take a woodcraft blow it up and add all kina tools to that !! add saw dust in the floor and you perty much got my shop [:D]
O ya and there in a big FAT guy ME in the midle a this mess cusen a lot with glue all over himself [:D]

RogerGarrett

Pic one is from backyard facing the double doors that lead to the garage
Pic two is another angle
Pic three is the one you are probably intersted - where the lathe is.
Pic four is from the double door entrance showing the opposite side.

Nice to get it reasonably clean. I sure would like it to look like those pics in Fine Woodworking when they show all the cool shops people have, but for some strange reason, I can never get it to look like those - nothing as organized and without dust or wood shavings. I don't think those guys use their shops.

best,
Roger Garrett

200641516368_Shop%201%20resized.jpg

2006415163622_Shop%202%20resized.jpg

2006415163636_Shop%206%20Lathe%20resized.jpg

2006415163841_Shop%204%20resized.jpg

angboy

Hey, I just figured out where all the extra pieces of wood that everyone said were missing from my shop went to- they're here in THIS shop! He has mine and his!!! [:D][:D]

RogerGarrett

Originally posted by jscola
<br />Roger, what type of gas heater do you have hanging from your ceiling and would recommend it for heating a shop? Joe

The builders installed a Hot Dawg - here is a description from the manufacturer:

These low-profile gas heaters are certified for residential and commercial use and an excellent heating option for greenhouses, garages, sheds, etc. Each Hot Dawg heater includes: hot surface ignition, power exhaust system, advanced diagnostic system for dependable worry-free operation, lots of safety features, high power fan to provide even heat distribution, rust-resistant aluminized steel exchanger, and a baked-on enamel finish made to protect the HD from harsh environments. Some wiring required. Requires 110/120v electricity. Designed for propane or natural gas. Mounting brackets included.

We ran a natural gas line to the shop and the entire unit vents to the roof of the shop - and I have yet to do anything but blow the dust off it once in awhile - just to be sure I don't cause a fire or something. They told me I don't have to - but I do anyway. I have a friend at my university who thinks he may install one into his garage - so I may have some more informtion for you later - if he ever gets around to completing his garage/shop. I keep this set at 62 degrees on the thermostat in the shop during the winter - and it is really quite comfortable - very even distribution. No complaints - I'm very happy with it. I would expect it could heat a shop twice the size of mine very easily.

Angboy - I sure appreciate the use of your wood [:D][:D] - it was better than mine!

Best,
Roger Garrett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom