I may buy this bandsaw. ..anyone own it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Folks:

I want a new tool, and thought I would enjoy this. For those that have first-hand experience with this tool, what do you think? I do own a benchtop bandsaw, but thought this would be fun to use.

Thank you and be well, be safe.

Tony

PS. I did write to sales to see where made and sourced.; I am really trying to to stick to goods made and sourced outside of mainland China.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Tony looks like this is a German company and NC is the distributor in the states. I never used it, never saw it, so can not offer a first hand experience. I can tell you it is a hobby saw and all those small tools are just that hobby saws. Look at the size blades used on it. Many modelers use these type tools because they deal with woods like balsa wood and BB plywoods. Now would it be able to cut pen blanks and pen tubes yes. Any tool can do that including hand tools. We never cut blanks to exact length anyway because we all sand to tubes thus the myriad of questions of how to square pen blanks you see here. Now if you are getting into segmenting then I do not think the blades will do you any good. If you are looking to just add a toy to the collection then go for it. Look good sitting on the desk with those bright colors. Now I have no idea what you have for plans for it so this all maybe way off base. It does look like it has speed control and can get a non ferrous blade for it so can cut metals. Also has a diamond blades so can cut those jewels up too and some glass. Need a wet station though. I am sure they probably offer something. I did not click on a price thing but sure it is not cheap. Good luck.

Mortalis

This looks like a benchtop also. What do you have now?
I saw a Rikon for about $10 less on Amazon that is a 10" benchtop

TonyL

Thank you all very much. I own the above..thanks though!

Anyone with first hand personal experience?

I have one of these as well as a Proxxon table saw and their thicknesser. The bandsaw is a disappointment. As good as the table saw and thicknesser is, so bad is the bandsaw abosolutely useless. Struggles to saw through a 3/4 wood blank. I would not recommend it to anyone

Attachments

• 49BBEF82-C518-421F-84A6-C0D90B86D3A3.jpeg
    49BBEF82-C518-421F-84A6-C0D90B86D3A3.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

jttheclockman

I know you are stressing first hand knowledge, you underlined it you highlighted it, we get that but you said you have a bench top bandsaw can you tell us why this intrigues you and what different do you want to do with it because some of us may have further knowledge than just owning this. Trying to be of help. As I said this bandsaw takes thinner and smaller blades than say a Rikon benchtop bandsaw. look at the the specs on it if that helps. It says Microbandsaw in title.

Maybe you want to look at the MicroMark one which too is a hobby model saw. To me looks like the same saw with a different color.:)

https://www.micromark.com/Variable-...MIqZ7Q5-Dy6AIVg56fCh1iUAWREAQYASABEgKqwPD_BwE

Last edited:

TonyL

I have one of these as well as a Proxxon table saw and their thicknesser. The bandsaw is a disappointment. As good as the table saw and thicknesser is, so bad is the bandsaw abosolutely useless. Struggles to saw through a 3/4 wood blank. I would not recommend it to anyone
Thank you. The Amazon reviews (although few were recent, and some of the reported flaws may have been addressed) weren't that great.

TonyL

I know you are stressing first hand knowledge, you underlined it you highlighted it, we get that but you said you have a bench top bandsaw can you tell us why this intrigues you and what different do you want to do with it because some of us may have further knowledge than just owning this. Trying to be of help. As I said this bandsaw takes thinner and smaller blades than say a Rikon benchtop bandsaw. look at the the specs on it if that helps. It says Microbandsaw in title.

Maybe you want to look at the MicroMark one which too is a hobby model saw. To me looks like the same saw with a different color.:)

https://www.micromark.com/Variable-...MIqZ7Q5-Dy6AIVg56fCh1iUAWREAQYASABEgKqwPD_BwE
Sure JT:
  • I am aware of its limitation; I just wanted buy myself something. I don' know what I will do it yet.
  • I own their miter/chop saw and believe the quality to be very good
  • I am most interested its quality the in the context of its intended purpose, and believe those that actually own it are best suited to answer my question.
  • I believe everyone's intentions are sincere and valuable, but responses like: "You are wasting your money", "You don't need that", "Why don't you just build it yourself," I heard they are great or stink.", "It won't cut a 6 x 6 railroad tie or butcher a farm animal :) " , especially from someone without first hand experience, will not provide me the type of guidance/appraisal that I am looking for.
Lastly, and as importantly, the folks here are so eager to help (like you JT), I thought I would solicit the opinions from actual users, so the rest could focus on the questions of others.

Well,, the Amazon reveiws were to mixed form me, and I haven't heard back from the sales department yet which is understandably, because it is a Saturday.

We see. Thanks all!

darrin1200

Hey Tony.

I don't know anything about this saw, but you mention you are just looking to a tool.
If I was adding a saw to my kitless shop, it would be a Milwaukee portaband and this table. It's great for cutting metal for clips rings or anything else. I have a jerryrigged version, (A Swag is high on my wish list), and it cuts Damascus like butter.

TonyL

That's pretty cool! Thanks. Do not know what swag is , but will look it up.

Just looked it up. Now I know what SWAG is. I signed up. Thx.

duncsuss

... a Milwaukee portaband and this table. It's great for cutting metal for clips rings or anything else. I have a jerryrigged version, (A Swag is high on my wish list), and it cuts Damascus like butter.

I went the alternate route - bought the HarborFright Bauer with some store credits, and paid real money for the SWAG Offroad table for it. Excellent build quality, heavy plate metal that feels rock solid in use. Note that there are different models that suit different brands of hand-held band saw.

It's superb for metals and plastics and cutting blanks to length. If your thoughts were heading in the direction of "fancy cut out work" that requires tight turns, it's probably best to go with a bench-top saw like the one you asked about, which can be fitted with a narrow blade for that type of work.

TonyL

I went the alternate route - bought the HarborFright Bauer with some store credits, and paid real money for the SWAG Offroad table for it. Excellent build quality, heavy plate metal that feels rock solid in use. Note that there are different models that suit different brands of hand-held band saw.

It's superb for metals and plastics and cutting blanks to length. If your thoughts were heading in the direction of "fancy cut out work" that requires tight turns, it's probably best to go with a bench-top saw like the one you asked about, which can be fitted with a narrow blade for that type of work.
Thanks Duncan! I want to buy a high quality tool made outside of China. I don't have an immediate use for any of it, but I want to treat myself to something. I was looking at some small metal lathes, etc.. even a drone believe it or not. I am not sure; I am just enjoying the journey. I have a new, wall mounted, dust collector still in an unopened box sitting in my garage for 3 months...maybe I should install that first :). Yesterday, I finally installed a new water filter that I bought over 2 years ago. Have a great one folks!

darrin1200

That's pretty cool! Thanks. Do not know what swag is , but will look it up.

Just looked it up. Now I know what SWAG is. I signed up. Thx.
I have been wanting a SWAG off-road table for a couple of years now. Unfortunately, a small mill and a dust cyclone are in positions 1&2 of the wish list.

Hope you find the new toy. Most times, half the fun is the search.

duncsuss

I want to buy a high quality tool made outside of China. I don't have an immediate use for any of it, but I want to treat myself to something.
Maybe a set of hand chisels from Blue Spruce Toolworks? Absolutely beautiful, I won a dovetail chisel from them a couple of years back and the only thing I've done with it so far is admire it's gorgeous construction and design. A set of those hanging on the wall would look a lot better than a dust collector. IMO, of course šŸ¤£

darrin1200

howsitwork

Tony

I can't comment on the bandsaw but I do have several,proxon tools and the quality is good. However the after sales parts are not . They are helpful but the bits you might break are sometimes not available to customers.

Just a thought to consider, as although bandsaws are pretty robust generally it's nice to know there are spares available when needed. Just my view.

TonyL

Tony

I can't comment on the bandsaw but I do have several,proxon tools and the quality is good. However the after sales parts are not . They are helpful but the bits you might break are sometimes not available to customers.

Just a thought to consider, as although bandsaws are pretty robust generally it's nice to know there are spares available when needed. Just my view.
I have the miter saw. It's good to know. thank you.

Top Bottom