I give up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

EPC

It's time for me to give up trying to sharpen my gouge freehand. I usually have to give it a minimum of 3 tries before I get a sharp edge. Can anyone suggest of an inexpensive fingernail jig?. Something that I can purchase. I have no desire in making my own jig.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russb

I would suggest getting the Wolverine system. The cheap way out might be to make you own support arm and holder and purchase just the Vari-grind jig. I don't know what grinder you are using, but I would suggest and 8 inch. High speed / low speed, I won't get into that. I use a low speed.

chigdon

I also don't think there is a better cheaper way than the Wolverine. You could get a tilt table like the one by Veritas and it might make it easier to freehand it but basically it is still not like a jig. Either that or keep practicing on a tool that is not your favorite or most expensive.

tnilmerl

Take a look at the JoolTool Ninja. You can put a wickedly awesome mirror-finish edge on all of your turning tools, all by hand-eye without a jig (with some practice) in just a few minutes. Costs about $280 from a dealer (Woodcraft). Costs more $$ directly from JoolTool (they don't want to undercut their dealers). Wolverine and Vari-grind are still great tools, but the JoolTool is worth looking into.

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by tnilmerl
<br />Take a look at the JoolTool Ninja. You can put a wickedly awesome mirror-finish edge on all of your turning tools, all by hand-eye without a jig (with some practice) in just a few minutes. Costs about $280 from a dealer (Woodcraft). Costs more $$ directly from JoolTool (they don't want to undercut their dealers). Wolverine and Vari-grind are still great tools, but the JoolTool is worth looking into.

Especially if you saw their demo at the AAW Symposium - very impressive in any way...The ones who were there know what I mean...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom