I Finally Have Class!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

I Finally Have Class! :D

Yesterday I finalized the arrangements to teach another all-day class on advanced penturning at the local Woodcraft store (only four hours away!). This one will be February 3rd in Boise Idaho. I'm going to do two pens again for this class. We settled on a Wall Street 2 (Sierra) done in "Alternate Materials". Those would be corncobs, pinecones, and maybe a few other things. The second pen will be a closed-end Navigator (Baron). I haven't decided what material to use on it yet, but I have plenty of many things. Any suggestions?

But I do need some help from my friends here at IAP. One of the people already signed up for this class is the guy who usually teaches all their other penturning classes! The guy at the store suggested I might want to come up with a "special challenge" for him, to push him a little bit. So I'm asking for suggestions - what would be an interesting challenge for an experienced penturner, that would also fit in an afternoon?

I'll look forward to hearing your comments!

Scott.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Scott,
I always knew you had class and now you have one.[}:)]

Let's see, if Boise is 4 hours from you, I'm probably about 5 hours from you, so that's only about 9 hours. Maybe I'll sign up too.[:D]

How about having this guy make a pen without premade bushings, have him make his own? Or a double closed end pen with a hidden clip?

terrymiller

Make it a closed end and either aluminum or brass. Requires a little lighter touch and have to be careful of heat build up.

I would find out what kits and materials he has worked with so far, then proceed from there. I am partial to PR; you may want to think about a PR blank for one of the pens.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
What do you know about his turning experience? Has he turned a lot of plastics? Celluloid? Brittle PR?

Once you establish what he CAN do, then determine what he has NOT YET DONE.
THAT becomes the challenge.[:)][:)][:)]

its_virgil

Hey Scott,

Have the guy write an article on penturning and send it to me.[:D]

Seriously, give him a kit, bushings and a box of odd materials such as a piece of picguard,blank cut offs both wood and plastics, antler pieces, etc and have him glue up his own blanks and make a pen.pen. We've done that before at some penturning meetings and it's fun to see what guys can fashion from these pieces.

Good luck with you class and ...
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Scott
<br />I Finally Have Class! [:D]
<b>So I'm asking for suggestions - what would be an interesting challenge for an experienced penturner, that would also fit in an afternoon?</b>

I'll look forward to hearing your comments!

Scott.

Draken

Captive ring in acrylic. I've seen it done before, so it is possible, but certainly a challenge (which I haven't tried yet beyond a few bottle stoppers which I still need to post photos of).

Cheers,
Draken

Scott

You guys crack me up! [:D]

Thanks for all the suggestions! The guy is a hard core pen fanatic like us. He's been turning pens for about a year and a half, but for a lot of that he has been teaching at Woodcraft, which as you know is an education in itself!!! Since the afternoon project is a closed-end Baron, I kind of like the idea of having him do a double closed end, maybe in lucite or PR. We'll see!

Bill - I would like to take you up on the invite!

Eagle - If you sent me one of those vein things, that guy would never see it! I'd have it framed!!! [:p]

Don - making up a pen from bits and pieces sounds fun as well! An article? [8D]

Chuckie - Off center? Some people say I'm off center anyway! Seriously though, that holds some interesting prospects!

Bud! I'd love to see you! Come on up! I'll have you help me teach the class!

And thanks again to everybody else! You jokers really make my day! [:)]

Scott.

Scott,
Have him make a desk pen and holder. make the requirements such that it needs to be a non-twist, where the refill must be always extended, so a traditional kit and no cb will be used but the refill must be replaceable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom