hybrid pen blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MedWoodWorx

i am trying to finish the first couple of wood-epoxy hybrid pens of my woodturning career. a couple of questions for the more seasoned turners.
A. what is the best way to paint the pen tubes black before inserting? i used a permanent marker and well it wasn't that permanent..
B. are carbide tipped chisels a must when turning synthetics?i mean they are brittle and although i keep my chisel sharp a single mistake can result in a broken piece
cheers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

It is generally best to paint the inside of the hole black , rather than the tube , although some do both . Make sure the tube will fall through the hole before painting , as the diameter will be reduced slightly . Any spray paint will work , glossy or flat , but best to leave a full day to ensure it is dry .

Carbide is not a must .

Kenny Durrant

It's my opinion to paint the inside of the hole rather than paint the tube. I use the cheap water base acrylic paints you can buy at the hobby stores. The fist reason for the paint is that once it's dry it's pretty durable. Second is you can get it in any color you would want. I paint the holes a color to help the colors in the blank stand out not just black or white. After drilling I use a rat tail file to clean up any burs in the hole. Then I use a Q-Tip to smear the paint inside to cover it entirely. I like the epoxy glue to glue the tubes. As far a turning I use the regular HSS tools. Keep them sharp and go slow.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I use Krylon spray paint - a couple of seconds into each end of the blank. I also paint the tube, although it's probably not necessary. I let both cure at least 24 hours, usually more, then make sure the tube still has a good fit before gluing. I hand ream it with the bit I used for drilling of paint is too thick. I don't always use black - sometimes other colors bring out the colors of blank better.

I like carbide, but it's certainly not required. Experiment & see what works best for you.

egnald

The comments you have received so far are certainly in line with what I do. The only thing I might offer is that spray lacquer dries a lot faster than standard spray enamels. That being said though, for a sweet blank that I really didn't want to mess up, I would probably use the Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2x Ultra Cover paint since it is formulated to be used on plastic. - Dave

1080Wayne

i am trying to finish the first couple of wood-epoxy hybrid pens of my woodturning career. a couple of questions for the more seasoned turners.
A. what is the best way to paint the pen tubes black before inserting? i used a permanent marker and well it wasn't that permanent..
B. are carbide tipped chisels a must when turning synthetics?i mean they are brittle and although i keep my chisel sharp a single mistake can result in a broken piece
cheers

It is generally best to paint the inside of the hole black , rather than the tube , although some do both . Make sure the tube will fall through the hole before painting , as the diameter will be reduced slightly . Any spray paint will work , glossy or flat , but best to leave a full day to ensure it is dry .

Carbide is not a must .
Neglected to say that the blank should be kept vertical while the paint is drying .

Top Bottom