Howdy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Howdy everyone, I just heard about your site here recently, I am a member of Sawmill Creek and a lot of the members there have mentioned this site. I am brand new to turning, about a month and a half now. To be honest I am not sure if I want to get into turning pens yet, I have already laid out a lot of money in the past couple of months for lathe/tools and misc. items as I am sure you are all aware it is so easy to do! At some point down the road I am sure I will get into pens, but in the mean time I want to read, and learn from you all what I can.

While waiting for my activation to kick in here I have read a lot of posts here and have noticed there are quite a few disabled turners here, I suffered a spinal injury 3 1/2 years ago and was forced to retire from a job I loved and held for 21 years prior to my injury. I would be interested in talking to some of you and seeing how you deal with your challenges and turning wood. Hope to see you all around, Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Papo

Hello Tim and welcome to the madness, you'll turn your first pen in no time just hang in around us and it will happen.I also recently became disable after 35 years of work.
But you know what, its ok just need to do cuts here and there, and all in all everything its working out ok.

Be Bless

ctubbs

Tim, welcome to the madness and addiction from west Kentucky. You mentioned you have been doing some reading. By all means go to the library link in the top right of the home page. There is a wealth of information there about many aspects of pen turning. There is so much more to turning pens than throwing a chunk of wood on the lathe and sticking a knife against it. Relax and enjoy. If you have a question, post it and there will always be at lest one answer, usually many more and all different. Make shavings and post photos of your triumphs or otherwise.
Charles

SGM Retired

Welcome Tim and hold on to your hat, you are about to turn into a pen turning monster. No, not really but you could if you take in all of the information these folks can give you. Just ask your question and be ready to read. You want be getting to much info from me, I'm still wet behind the ears in pen turning but I'm getting dangerous. Again, WELCOME from Alabama...
Gary

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I will post some pictures of some of my recent turnings over in the appropiate forum listing for other projects. looking forward to learning from all of you.

@ witz - I was born and rasied in Maine...born in Bangor, family farm is in the Shapleigh area...came out to colorado as a kid when my father got a job out there, looking to move back full time as soon as I possibly can!

Top Bottom