Howdy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

McBryde

Hello all,

I am new to the pen turning world, have been reading a lot of material on here, there is just so much! I'm just a poor ole school teacher, lol, and am looking for another hobby. I always like turning bowls, vases, or candlesticks when I go to my grandfathers house, so I figured why not pens as well. I bought a cheap mini lathe at a pawn shop, and am hoping I can rig it up, it's a Shopmate Sabre-Lathe model 2610T0, and seems to have a sanding table in it as well, if that is what that is for. Anyway, hope to get to know some people on here, make some friends, and gain some knowledge from people.

Talk to you on the forums,

Emerson McBryde

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Karin Voorhis

WELCOME TO THE TRAP! You are now about to become warped into a whole new world. stick with us we understand however the outside world will look at you funny when you start to brag about that scrap spalted junk you almost caused an accident pulling over to grab during rush hr thinking that old lady is nuts throwing this to the curb!

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Welcome Emerson! you will make some friends here and you will definitely gain some knowledge. I don't think that you will be any less poor once you fall deeper into the penturning vortex, but it is a lot of fun down here!

KenBrasier

Nice to have you Emerson. This a great site to be involved with as well as having a wealth of information at your fingertips.

McBryde

LOL Karin, my wife already thinks I'm crazy for pulling over to pick up treasures like that on the side of the road, so I guess I'm already half way there.

E

Mac

Nothing Like the real thing. When IAP first started local clubs ,me and a buddy loaded up the wives and went to springfied MO for their first meeting, had a blast ,drove up and back the same day. Also have been to two North Texas meetings I have learned something everytime.

McBryde

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone!

Where do ya'll meet at Mac? And how often do ya'll meet? Where do the North TX guys meet at? I live in AR now, but grew up in TX, and still have family there in Springtown.

E

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Welcome Emerson!!

Please feel free to send any extra warm air to Wisconsin!!!

"cool, breezy day"---send it to Mesquite Man!!

McBryde

Hey Ed, we haven't had much warm weather here lately, been 7 and 8 degrees for lows with negative wind chills, actually warmed up long enough for us to get rain today though, and probably tomorrow too.

Here is my post with my lathe pictured, hopefully some of ya'll can help me get setup to turn. I'm having some troubles figuring what all I need to get rolling. I don;t even know if I posted this in the right spot to get much input about it, lol. But here it is as well:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56548

Thanks again,

Emerson

Mac

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone!

Where do ya'll meet at Mac? And how often do ya'll meet? Where do the North TX guys meet at? I live in AR now, but grew up in TX, and still have family there in Springtown.

E

Next meeting info in local clubs forum. Go to (forums) above click on local clubs. Ours is Arklatex. The North Texas bunch is trying to decide on their next meeting. The two that I went to were north of Dallas.
If you decide to come to a meeting, you are welcome to stop at my house and ride with me to our meeting. We meet every 3 months or so.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Emerson, Great to have a teacher among us. Actually we have many! :) Ask all the questions you need. Lots of folks here to help out!

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf

McBryde

Hey Mac, I'm trying to get geared up, looking like I will get to be here shortly, going to do some horse trading for some stuff. The north TX group looks like they are meeting in Azle, which I grew up in the next town over, Springtown. I went to boyscouts in Azle, lol, small small world! Anyway, not sure if I'll make the meeting or not, depends on how the wife feels about it for the most part, lol. The 6 month old makes her want some time to herself on the weekends for some reason?!?!?! We'll see though, duck season will have been over for a little bit, so she will have had a good rest, LOL.

Lee, thanks for those links, I had looked them over while on "probation" for beginners, and I really like the post of what I wished I had done differently. Gives me some good insight, even if I choose to take the hard knocks road, lol.

Emerson

traderdon55

Emerson, welcome to IAP. I don't know how far you are from Texarkana but our next Arklatex chapter meeting is scheduled to be 25 miles from there at my house in New Boston. We are just a bunch of friends that meet and try to learn from each other. If it fits into your schedule as Mac has stated we would be happy to have you come down. If you do make it and have any questions that don't get covered during the meeting Mac or I would be happy to work with you one on one after the meeting to help you with any thing we can.

McBryde

Thanks Don,

I come through there every now and again when I go to TX to see my parents. Texerkana is about 3 hours for me, will see what I can't do to get there.

Top Bottom