Howdy Ya'll from Tennessee

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I joined a couple years ago but as sometimes happens, just sort of got busy. I'm now retired and able to slow down a bit and circle back around to some of my expert resources. I've been turning pens for a couple years, selling some, giving many as gifts. My goal is to sell enough to support my habit.

I have a question that I don't think has been discussed. I have bought several pieces of "historic wood" for use in pens. Some of these pieces have paint still on them. I've been asked if there is any way I could turn the pen in such a way that some of the paint would remain on the pen.

I've seen where people take blanks for rolling pens and placed them in the Lathe in what would appear to be "off center" in an effort to control stripes that were on the blank.

bottom line...does anyone know of a method of turning on lathe so that the paint would remain? Thanks in advance!

Randy Yeoman
Papaw's Pretty Pen Shoppe
papaws@papawsprettypens.com

randyrls

Hi Randy; Yes, I've made antler pens where I wanted the surface (bark) to show. Just drill the hole for the brass tube off center. You need to be *VERY* precis to do that. and the hole must be very straight with no wandering. I would try a test with a normal blank.
Use the bushing(s) to determine how far off center you want. It will not be a lot. Drilling on a drill press is easy as you can off-set the clamp or vise used. To do this on the lathe, use a "shim" to off-set the blank.

KenB259

The only thing I can think of is you might be able to cut very thin, vaneer thin strips from them and glue them around a tube and then cast them. Understand though, I'm not a caster, so hopefully someone that actually does this will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom