Howdy from Indiana

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JEBennett

Hello there, folks.

I got pointed to this forum by AskCheese when he came into the shop yesterday and started talking about the pens he had been turning.

I've been a fountain pen nut for about three years now, ever since I got a little Lamy Safari in college. Working at Paradise Pens for the last nine months has put me in contact with a variety of very interesting people and materials and makes of pen and ink. Lately, I've been sharply into vintage pens, and I think I've reached the point where my acquisitional phase is ending. This weekend most of my ten pens are going up on the market block elsewhere and I'm getting down to my two or three user pens.

So now I need a new hobby. Making things is fun. This is me, nosing around the garden of lathe-y temptations. ;)

Best,
James Bennett

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

askcheese

Hi all --

I'm also fairly new to this forum as I've just recently taken up pen making at home. I've known about James' store for a couple of years now and admired the high end writing instruments found there. Never did I think I would attempt to make them!

Generally I'm a hollow form and bowl maker based in my garage. Very little of what I've made actually sells. Until picked up a book on making pens (a topic of discussion over on sawmillcreek.org is what prompted me to look into this). I've started out on some 7mm slimline pens and am now really branching out into whatever I can get my hands on.

I've got to say that I've found this sight to be loaded is great material, good discussions (not that I've participated), and wonderful levels of inspiration. Although I'm just getting started, I'm definitely looking to hit the levels of quality in the pictures that I see posted.

I look forward to more reading and participating in discussions and hopefully being able to make something that's worthy of posting as a picture on this site.

Chris Hayes

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome James.

Below is a link to PDF file that is a general overview of tools, methods, pens and options that might be helpful to you in making pens. It does not go into detail of the many aspects at all, but just gives a general overview and options. Since you have been making FPs for a while, you probably know most of it. However I didn't want to leave you out in posting it to new members.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

rej19

Hi Chris and James, You guys just missed our last local chapter meeting at the Woodcraft store on the northside. If you check the forums area you will find a Indianapolis group with some other guys in the area. A few of us are going to the Midwest Penturning Gathering next week in Champaign IL. If you do a search on this site for Midwest Penturning Gathering you will find the details. Hope to meet you at one of the upcoming meetings.

JEBennett

What a warm welcome. I'm reading through that "getting started" PDF and finding it very helpful. I'm -trying- to read through this quite informative forum, but my Crummy Rural Internet(TM) keeps pitching DNS errors.

Ah well. :)

Top Bottom