Howdy from Huntsville AL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WHSKYrvr1

I would like to take a minute to say hi to the members of the IAP. I was introduced to pen turn about three years ago and I have to say it is a most rewarding hobby. To me there is nothing more satifying than to see the face of someone that I have given a pen.
I still consider myself a newby to the hobby and am still learning new techniques from the forums and magazines that I am reading. My biggest frustration to the hobby is learning to sharpen the tools. I am open to any techniques to help me out.

Thanks and I am looking forward to talking with youn in the future.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Finally another Alabama turner, Welcome to the Forum from one that statred out in Mobile and moved to Tucker, GA outside of Atlanta, GA way back about 58 years ago. :eek:

Last edited:

broitblat

Welcome, William.

Sharpening continues to frustrate me, too. I *think* I know how to do it, but whenever I see a turning demo or video, their tools look a whole lot sharper (or maybe it's their technique that is sharper).

-Barry

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome William! Looking forward to seeing some of your pens.

This link has postings by different pen turners on what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.
http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

If you need anymore info, there are many here ready to answer your questions. Just post in the appropriate forum. Don't forget the great resources we have available through the Library and the Wiki links on the top of the home page.

WHSKYrvr1

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I am planning to post some of the pens i have made, but they are in no comparison than those I have seen on the site. Everyone I have seen posted has just blown me away.

Midi

Howdy, right back at'cha

Welcome, i hope you enjoy the site. There a lot of nice and very helpful people here.

Midi from California

glen r

Welcome from western Canada William. I too hate sharpening and therefore am not good at it. I solved the problem by buying 2 carbide chisels on ebay - one round and one square. When the edge gets dull I simply use the right size Torx screwdriver and turn the carbide insert to a new edge or side. Once you realize that you can use the carbides as cutters in addition to scrapers you never look back at sharpening chisels. Just my $0.02.

Top Bottom