How much resin does it take to make...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hayseedboy

Hey All,

How much resin does it take to make a 3/4 x 5" blank? Trying to figure out volume to liquid measurements.

Thanks in Advance for the Geometrically Challenged,
lr

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jthompson1995

You can find websites that will do the conversion for you, though filing with water and measuring is probably the easiest way and will account for any variations in the mold cavity.

Anyway, 3/4" by 3/4" by 5" equals 2.8125 cubic inches which equals 1.558 fluid ounces. Hope this helps.

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
I like to pour rice into the mold and then into a measuring cup. It keeps the mold dry for use when you figure out how much it holds.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
If you use Alumilite you need to go by weight rather than volume. In that case, Alumilite takes .554 ounces per cubic inch. Multiply length x height x width x .554 and that is how much MIXED resin you need.

stevers

Originally posted by Hayseedboy

Hey All,

How much resin does it take to make a 3/4 x 5" blank? Trying to figure out volume to liquid measurements.

Thanks in Advance for the Geometrically Challenged,
lr

If you want, you can E-mail me. I have a little tutorial on this.

Jarheaded

I just mix up a batch and when the mold is full, I just dump the rest into an empty chamber. As I get more and more of these partial blanks, I put them all into a chamber and pour some resin in and cast it into a multicolor blank. I hate to measure the amount of Alumilite that I need to make the mix properly much less how much I need for a blank.

If you ever want to have some fun, put some cheetos into a chamber and cast them, then give them to a friend and laugh as he turns it.:D[}:)][}:)]

rherrell

If you buy PR by the gallon like most of us do and you figure 2 oz. per 3/4" X3/4" X 5" blank you'll get 64 per gallon. That's assuming you don't waste any, but don't count on it!!;)

sbell111

I buy twice as much PR as I think I'll need. Some remains in the mixing container, some get's spilled, some blanks blow up. Plus it's always good to have some on hand.

Top Bottom