how far will it go?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Okay, I'm considering getting some basic casting supplies.

A gallon of Resin
Some Color pigments

from Mr. Fiberglass

My questions are:

1) how many balnks can I expect to get out of a gallon?
2) how far does an ounce of pigment go?

Now obviously I know it depends on sizes, and how opaque you want it, so assuming 3/4x5 inch blanks and that you want a nice opaque blank, what are the responses?

Should I be looking at the 1 ounce packages or the 4 ounce?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
I can usually get approx. 70 blanks per gal. I cast mine 5 3/4 long.
I would start with 1 oz. pigments. You will be able to get more colors with the same amount of money. Plus 1 oz. will go a long way.
I think it's better to start with the smaller size containers of pigment to see if it's a color you like.

You are right, it will depend on blank sizes, color desired, and you always have to factor in the failures(not that anyone ever has those)especially just starting out.

Just my opinion. I'm sure you will get other great advice.
Good luck and have fun!

ldb2000

I have to agree with James on this one , I get 65 to 70 3/4" blanks (Gadgits molds) out of a gallon and 1 oz of pigment will do alot of pen blanks...never counted how many but I did an order for 20 cigar pens in sparkle blue mica (1 oz jar) and still have lots of the pigment left .

Draken

Originally posted by Russianwolf

Okay, I'm considering getting some basic casting supplies.

A gallon of Resin
Some Color pigments

from Mr. Fiberglass

My questions are:

1) how many balnks can I expect to get out of a gallon?
Depends on how much you spill, knock over, have gel in the mixing cups before casting, and how much waste is including the the mold of choice.
2) how far does an ounce of pigment go?
Depends on how hard the wind is blowing.

Now obviously I know it depends on sizes, and how opaque you want it, so assuming 3/4x5 inch blanks and that you want a nice opaque blank, what are the responses?

Should I be looking at the 1 ounce packages or the 4 ounce?

Not real useful answers, I know, but that's about the best I can do with such generalized questions....

sbell111

Agreed. I just always make sure that I have plenty on hand. If I get down to about a half a gallon of resin, I need to buy more.

Regarding pigment, it will last a pretty long time. I don't make big batches of like blanks, so I can't really guess how long it takes to use up pigments and I'm not sure what kind of pigments you are referring to. If I need a new color, I'll buy it. If there's a sale, I'll buy colors that I like.

bitshird

Mike, the opaque pigments require just a few drops per OZ of resin, Pearl Ex which is really cool to play with , adds some neat effects recommended volume is approx 1/8 tsp per OZ, of resin, also check with US composites, the liquid dye/pigments will affect your gel and set up times , also US Composites is a few bucks cheaper than Mr Fiberglass, but they are in Fl. and Mr Fiberglass is in the N.E. so shipping may make a difference, products are the same, Silmar 41 although US offers more pigments, in both transparent, and opaque, I personally haven't tried the transparent pigments yet, but I think they will work better with the Mica pearl materials, Joe Collazo (turncrafts) also carries the Mica powders, and I believe they are the same stuff as Pearl-Ex but considerably less expensive and more colors also available through Coastal Scents.[:eek:)][:eek:)]

Top Bottom