how do I keep white wood white

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mapletree

I have some spalded maple with color contrast that goes from white to brown, dark brown and black. I have used either CA thin or polyurathane for the first coat but they always make it dark enough that some of the contrast between the white and dark are lost. What is the best way to keep the white white? I have used Hut wax but don't feel it is durable enough. The lightest color in this wood was almost white. The first coat was CA thin then polyurathane then Hut wax.

2005595438_MVC-004S.jpg

Thanks.....Dick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Dick, it is still very nice. I find that the Enduro finish does not change the colors of wood at all. It takes longer when you use the "Swindlehurst Method", but the results are worth it. From the Home Page, do a search for Enduro and you should find Wayne's directions. The only update is to let both the sealer and poly cure overnight before finishing.

Disclaimer: I am not in the employ of Wayne Swindlehurst, just a satisfied disciple. [:D]

jdavis

Let your sealer get very dry before applying finish. Do not rush any finish process. This is the hardest thing for my students to understand. They get into too big of a hurry and I have to fix-it.

MDWine

I have a 7mm pen in Holly I am going to turn soon, and my first concern was using a finish that would change the color. I've used Master's, and recently used the Friction Polish (Mylands, just like the Master's).

Do you think the FP will change the color? I don't have any Enduro (yet) !! I know the Master's will change the color, just like BLO. I've only used the FP once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom