How about powder coat to color resin?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Just curious, with the high cost of small sizes of powder, can the powder coat powder be used?? There are a lot of choices and it's a dry powder which is very fine... would it work??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

LOL... I just sent you an e-mail Steve. Might be a good use for that Harbor Fright white powder! If it works it will be an awesome source for powder tints, just look on e-bay for the dirt cheap prices and some of the selection they have. I will give it a test with some "left over" resin when I cast up that cactus that's drying on my workbench right now.

dbriski

How much heat does it take to cure the powder coat? How much heat is emmited durning the PR curning process? Not experienced with either of these, but it may have another effect durning the curing process than how it looks when mix (could be a positive.

Firefyter-emt

It normaly about 400 degrees, but I think worst case the dried powder would be fine or better in a finished casting. I will give it as shot even if it's just a small amount of resin to give it a test. The powder is about $9.00 for 8oz so it would be a cheap source that I can use to PC stuff if I need to use it.

bitshird

Not sure about casting resins, but powder coating powder works well in other polymers like epoxy, at up to 10% by weight, the epoxy I used was 2 hr and it cured fine. no noticable difference, just mix the daylights out of it to avoid streaking, ( NO keep your cloths on) PLEASE[:0][:0]
Ken Ferrell

Firefyter-emt

The reason I am asking is because I have a set up to powdercoat. The link you gave lists their stuff for $15.95 for 8oz. The Powdercoat is between $7.00 to $9.00 for 8oz and I can use it to powdercoat as well!

The PC is also very much finer so the color may mix and blend smoother, but I have not done it and that is a guess on my part.

I don't try to reinvent the wheel, but I am know for thinking outside of the box. ;)

That said... What powders would you suggest as a "staple"?? Also, how much do you mix in to make four 3/4" blanks??

stevers

Lee,
I mix to taste. You just have to practice. There's a point were it doesn't change much. Powders work diff than liquids too. My powders tend to be opaque and my dyes are more transparent. Of course they were bought as trans dyes. I have some powders from Coastal Scents. Just the first place I bought from. But I like them. And they are of a flour consistency. Very fine. Used for make up.

Top Bottom