Hotels/Venues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Lunch Break work session :)...

1. Medina Fairgrounds Community Room: $500/day = $1,000

2. Berea Hotels starting at about $150/night (close to the airport, so more competition).

3. Holiday Inn West/Fairlawn: 7 banquet rooms of various sizes. 250
max seating. Rooms starting at $116 before discounts.

4. Quality Inn and Conference Center - Akron South (By the Arlington
area close to Hartville). 12 banquet rooms of various sizes. I was
told that the rack rate for one for approximately 100 people plus
vendors is $150/half day, and $300/full day BEFORE A DISCOUNT.
Rooms starting at $77/day before discounts.

5. Double tree Akron/Fairlawn: 7 banquet rooms. I did not check on room prices.

6. Radisson Akron/Fairlawn: 4 Banquet rooms: I did not check on room rates.

7. Hilton Garden Inn Akron/Fairlawn: 6 Banquet rooms. I did not check on room rates.

8. No hotels at the Medina/I 71 exit with banquet facilities.

My thoughts: Medina is out. Berea is a slim possibility. Hartville/Arlington may still be a good option.
The Fairlawn area looks like an active Banquet/Conference Center with multiple options.

Magicbob: I can investigate this further if that's helpful, or you can chew on the info. Let me know if you want more help. (One sad benefit of a dying business is that I have several pockets of time during my 11 hr days...)

Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Argo13

Bob,

Not sure if you would consider another location but I drive by the Clarion hotel in Hudson ( it used to be a holiday inn) everyday. It is right off the turnpike at rt 8 so it would be very convenient for anyone coming from east or west. I know they have a multiple conference rooms for any size group and the room rate is normally $110 before any group rate. I called today but the sales department won't be in till Monday so they couldn't give me any special pricing. Phone number is 330-653-9191 if your interested.

Jason

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
4. Quality Inn and Conference Center - Akron South (By the Arlington
area close to Hartville). 12 banquet rooms of various sizes. I was
told that the rack rate for one for approximately 100 people plus
vendors is $150/half day, and $300/full day BEFORE A DISCOUNT.
Rooms starting at $77/day before discounts.

On the call I made last month, the office staff (NOT the person who had final negotiating authority) implied that it was common to negotiate a lower price for the conference rooms.

Not sure if you had talked to them and ruled them out.

If you are buried Magic, I can set up a meeting and check them out.

Magicbob

I will call them Monday,
I am waiting on a call back from the Galaxy/Comfort Inn in Wadsworth this morning.

Magicbob

spoke with a number of places this week
The Comfort Inn in Wadsworth is nice the people there are nice but the cost is a little high, around $1000

The senior center here in my neighborhood is only about $700, no food or beds near.

the Quality Inn at Arlington sounds very good, she quoted $650 and a good room rate.
It is close to food, drinks and has nice rooms with free breakfast.
She is going to email me details and I will visit Friday.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I was given a lower rate by a Minion, so your's may be more accurate.

But.. Sounds like a plan.!!! Close to Hartville and assistance with Lathes, etc...

Thanks for the leg-work.

spoke with a number of places this week
The Comfort Inn in Wadsworth is nice the people there are nice but the cost is a little high, around $1000

The senior center here in my neighborhood is only about $700, no food or beds near.

the Quality Inn at Arlington sounds very good, she quoted $650 and a good room rate.
It is close to food, drinks and has nice rooms with free breakfast.
She is going to email me details and I will visit Friday.

Magicbob

visited the Quality inn today.
Went into work at 6 am so I could leave early and then the lady I needed to talk to went home early.
Oh well, they showed me the room, more than big enough for everything in one room.
Access to the parking lot so it will be easy for tools and vendors.
If I can negotiate a good price Monday, we may have it

Magicbob

The QI Arlington looks pretty good, She is sending me the contract today, so I will have hard numbers soon.
They also have A/V equipment to rent so that may be cheaper as well.
On another note, the poll I posted showed no opposition to paying a registration fee, so if we get 75 attendees that would be $1500. Then if we can get 6 vendors at $100 each we should be able to pull this off with no out of pocket

Magicbob

Visited the Comfort Inn in Wadsworth today.

WOW

Very nice, very new.
She offered the large room for $600 per day, so $1200
Rooms are $99 ea. double or King, +$20 for a 2 room suite, +40 for a two room 1 1/2 bath suite with hot tub.
The staff are very friendly and there is a nice bar/restaurant.
There is also a ton of fast food near by.

Of all the places I have looked at, I like this one the best.

For those of you who don't know, Wadsworth is 12 miles west of Akron, the hotel is right off I76.

I think we should make a decision soon, should we do a conference call or a meeting.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Bob,

I think admission fees and vendor fees will cover the $1200. We need to know if there are any restrictions on food and/or drink. Some hotels prohibit the bringing of outside food into their conference facilities. It has to be purchased through the hotel. So if we wanted to offer donuts, coffee and juice in the morning we would have to buy it from them. Same goes for any type of lunch. I know from being involved in setting up conferences in Las Vegas we could get rooms for dirt cheap but had to pay out the nose for coffee and pastries.

Magicbob

Ok, reviewed everything.
The Quality Inn is $650 per day or 1300 for the event
$89 rooms with a continental breakfast
$100 fee for any outside food

It is a little dated, no bar or food on property, lots near by
Questionable neighborhood.

The Comfort Inn
$600 per day $1200 for the event
$99 rooms with a Hot Breakfast Buffet
Willing to discuss non catered food, but has made a pretty good offer for an opt in dinner.

Very nice rooms, bar and food on property, + lots near by
Nice neighborhood, very safe.

I think we should go with the Comfort Inn Wadsworth. I know it is a ways from Hartville, but in reality no one will be able to visit Hartville while the gathering is going on anyway.

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
Sounds good to me. Near Hartville is not a necessary plus. I have a mini-lathe we can use if someone loads it for me. Is this near freeways?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I assume it is refundable (unless Jeff trashes the place)? Any conditions? Like getting sawdust on the carpet?

I'll ante the $500. A check to you Bob, or should I just go there myself; which is fine.

Magicbob

It is a non-refundable deposit, to be applied to the fee for the banquet room
I told her, I'll be out of town all next week and will get with her the next week.
No hurry yet

Last edited:
Top Bottom