Hoping to "Click" from Vancouver, BC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi everyone!

I have turned more pens than I can count from kits, then started combining multiple kits to make pens that met my aesthetic preferences. My favourite kit combination is a round-top European with centre band from a Streamline kit. My pen with the most WOW factor is a towering 22" desk pen (so you don't lose it, and nobody walks away with it).

Now, I am currently working on a kitless pen design and am evaluating whether I get can get a "click" mechanism to work in it. My friend @magpens recommended the Schmidt SKM-88 and SKM-192. If anybody else has recommendations for quality click mechanisms (or has built a click mechanism!), I'd love to hear from you.

My background is furniture making, but my passions are for design and engineering. I like to make things efficient.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hi Chris !! . . Warm welcome to IAP !! . . Very good to see you !!! . . . . :) :) :D:D . . . and . . . ;);) . . . ! ! !

Don't forget the warnings I gave you about this place . . . . some of the members get very friendly and helpful . . . . ! ! ! !

Also ..... be sure to check out the Library and Resources sections.

Alan Morrison

Welcome to the forum, Chris.
My recommendation for a top quality click pen is the Tempest from Beaufort Ink. Your friend Mal could probably inform you where it can be obtained in Canada.

Alan

PatrickR

Welcome Chris,
Have you looked at Milans pens web site? They carry a variety of click mechanisms. The SKM-88 is a solid choice if you like the look and want it to be quiet. Any of the Schmidt mechs will be well made.
I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with.

Thanks for the greetings @Jim15, @Dalecamino, @PatrickR, @Curly and @egnald.

Dale: Inspiration is everywhere. Your comment about refreshing pen photos reminded me to make that sculptural pen I've been thinking about for years. And that reminds me of the Unturned Pencils (are we allowed to talk about pencils here?) made by Fair Woodworking (not me - I'm Flair Woodworks). They're definitely unique. https://www.picuki.com/tag/LatheFreeOrDie
1624069780651.png

Patrick: Is this the site you're referring to? https://www.milan.es/en/writing-and-painting/ball-pens

Curly: Run all you like, but with the internet, you never get closer or farther!

Curly

I just don't get the US to Canada shipping prices.
Some of it is the sender having to fill out a declaration form so they charge the buyer for the extra time and some is the the of shipping they pick. Some will send small orders in a flat rate box but the rate for international with them is close to triple the domestic rate where if they just got a small box and sent it first class it would be about half as much. And sometimes it is just because they can. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️

Some of it is the sender having to fill out a declaration form so they charge the buyer for the extra time and some is the the of shipping they pick. Some will send small orders in a flat rate box but the rate for international with them is close to triple the domestic rate where if they just got a small box and sent it first class it would be about half as much. And sometimes it is just because they can. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️
I used to make wooden bench dogs and shipped them all over North America (and internationally). There is a 20mm postal limit for a certain rate class so we made sure that our packaged product did not exceed that thickness. It was very inexpensive to ship to the US, but rather expensive to ship within Canada. Get this: the shipping rates to send a package of dogs to Florida and then back to my next door neighbour than to ship directly to my neighbour.

magpens

I used to make wooden bench dogs and shipped them all over North America (and internationally). There is a 20mm postal limit for a certain rate class so we made sure that our packaged product did not exceed that thickness. It was very inexpensive to ship to the US, but rather expensive to ship within Canada. Get this: the shipping rates to send a package of dogs to Florida and then back to my next door neighbour than to ship directly to my neighbour.

Canada Post rates are .... *%!@!!*??

I shipped 2 pens to my grandson and his grilfriend ... from Vancouver to Winnipeg ... cost me $18 ... BECAUSE the package was JUST over 20mm.
The weight was well under 200 gm

Canada Post rates are .... *%!@!!*??

I shipped 2 pens to my grandson and his grilfriend ... from Vancouver to Winnipeg ... cost me $18 ... BECAUSE the package was JUST over 20mm.
The weight was well under 200 gm
The fuel surcharge might have been less if they were Streamline pens ;)

Top Bottom