"Honey, I shrunk your diamonds..."

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
... And they're wooden also!

My first successful attempt at this design came out OK (Diamonds), but I wanted to get the pattern thinner to avoid the need for a 2-sided appearance.

The first inlay (2-sided pattern, previous thread) was about .352" thick. This 3-sided inlay is about .265" thick for each section. I just needed more practice getting the triangles smaller, the diamonds/squares were not the problem.

The 5 layer bands were supposed to duplicate the Black/Maple/Walnut/Maple/Black theme for the inlay, but you can't notice the middle being walnut vs black. And I screwed up sizing the end caps, but I'm still happy with the results.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
WOAH NELLY!!!! Looks like you have become a Master at Segmenting!!!! I love the look of it. Now to do it with Yellowheart and Ebony!!! Waffle House Pattern, here we come!!!

Again, I love how you keep pushing the envelope!!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
WOAH NELLY!!!! Looks like you have become a Master at Segmenting!!!! I love the look of it. Now to do it with Yellowheart and Ebony!!! Waffle House Pattern, here we come!!!

Again, I love how you keep pushing the envelope!!

I'll put it one my list of "to-do's." # 431.

Attachments

• images-1.jpg
    images-1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 134

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hey Mark - Really impressive. Is your eyesight good enough for this teeny detail work or do you have a good set of magnifiers.

Ed

Hi Ed, actually my vision is 20/950 and 20/1000, with slowly developing cataracts. I usually take my glasses off and just get to 2" from the pieces if I'm gluing the segments. So far I have not glued my eye lids yet.

My hands are getting more shaky, so that is more of a concern.

I'm just sanding the triangles down, so no need to get too close.

Attachments

• IMG_0992.jpg
    IMG_0992.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1003.jpg
    IMG_1003.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1002.jpg
    IMG_1002.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0997.jpg
    IMG_0997.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
A collective thank you for all the kind comments. Out of the shop for about 2 weeks, but 5 more blanks are waiting in line to be turned.

rossvh

Awesome segmenting, but........

Really nice segmenting! But I think a nicer pen than a lower end WallStreet II would make a huge difference. IMHO.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Really nice segmenting! But I think a nicer pen than a lower end WallStreet II would make a huge difference. IMHO.

Mark is about the challenge. Pen kits are dime a dozen. And he also gives most away. Kit is there to show off his blank. I do mostly the same.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

I'm In Lancaster, PA right now displaying the IAP Collection and doing some private showings, so just checking in.

Ross, you are totally correct - I would need to be more attentive to the kit if I had customers, or family that needs a 21'st pen, or neighbors that want a pen for themselves or their dogs to chew on, or, etc... LOL. But that is not why I enjoy this hobby.

Ernie is correct, I give most away, or just throw them in a drawer after the design is done. I really enjoy figuring out if I can do the designs; If I get lucky through trial and error and am close to being successful, I'll post pickies and some explanations so that others like you can buy the expensive kits, make the designs, make big bucks and retire to a desert island. Your observation is entirely correct, the kit is of little concern to me; actually, I usually look for what I have laying around and design the blank around whatever is available.

Oh, I actually like the Sierra series (reliable mechanisms on the authentic, and some clones - My opinion only) as well as the lowly slimline, many design opportunities for a cheap $2.00 kit. I also like Knurl, and the Majestic Series. Basically, I'm trying to use up the kits I have before I die! :eek: No need to buy more.

IAP Collection at the Lancaster Mid-Atlantic Woodturning Symposium:

Attachments

• IMG_0182.jpg
    IMG_0182.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 128
Top Bottom