Honduran Rosewood Burl Accord

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jmaxcy

Jmaxcy

Honduran rosewood burl on an accord kit. Wood credit to @MysticMicro!
Any thoughts / feedback appreciated!

Attachments

• 83A977FF-D8A9-4CB7-B1CB-694969C5F2FF.jpeg
    83A977FF-D8A9-4CB7-B1CB-694969C5F2FF.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 225
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

Very nice, the kit really shows the blank. Although not what one typically thinks of with HRB, I have seen HRB sapwood that looks a lot like that, so maybe it is all sapwood?

The sapwood on this one that I made shares at least some resemblance:

PSX_20200419_133133.jpg

Dehn0045

I did a little more digging and it seems like all sapwood HRB. I think I found the specific blank listed in this thread:

Post in thread 'Seven sets of exotic wood pen blanks - chittum, snakewood, more!' https://www.penturners.org/threads/...ks-chittum-snakewood-more.170722/post-2125345

Screenshot_20210709-213019.png

Even so, can we ever really be 100% sure about what kind of wood we're using? I guess maybe if you cut the tree and mill the wood yourself. In any case, it's a pretty pen!

Jmaxcy

I did a little more digging and it seems like all sapwood HRB. I think I found the specific blank listed in this thread:

Post in thread 'Seven sets of exotic wood pen blanks - chittum, snakewood, more!' https://www.penturners.org/threads/...ks-chittum-snakewood-more.170722/post-2125345

View attachment 311863

Even so, can we ever really be 100% sure about what kind of wood we're using? I guess maybe if you cut the tree and mill the wood yourself. In any case, it's a pretty pen!
You nailed it, that is indeed the exact blank used. Although I'd agree it does seem spalted and in some areas burled as well. Thanks for the compliments!

Kcimdrib

I like this alot what a beautiful piece of wood and it goes great with the kit.

CjG78

That I one unique piece of HRB. I haven't seen one as spalted. Great job on the pen!!

MysticMicro

Just saw the thread - beautiful work!

The original blank was from a burl chunk that I cut down. Usually HRB chunks have come to me w sapwood chopped off. For whatever reason, this one had the sapwood intact. And the sapwood looked cool to me, so I made blanks out of it.

I get the confusion - it's not the heartwood, so probably destined to spark "that's not HRB" conversations forever. But at the same time...don't know what else to call it. Maybe, as w amboyna, time to go make up a marketing name or something - "golden hrb", anyone?

Regardless...I'm glad it turned out beautifully!

Last edited:
Top Bottom