Honduran Mahogany Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

Came across some very old stock of Honduran Mahogany. Beautiful wood, red in color but not much visible grain figuring.
Any suggestions as to a way to enhance the little grain there is ? Thanks. I want to keep it as natural as possible but I don't want it to be plain.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Came across some very old stock of Honduran Mahogany. Beautiful wood, red in color but not much visible grain figuring.
Any suggestions as to a way to enhance the little grain there is ? Thanks. I want to keep it as natural as possible but I don't want it to be plain.
That is some of the best sought after wood these days. It is closed grained and very stable. If the wood is furniture grade then it is even more valuable. Whenever I have used it in my scrollsaw projects I just use an oil based Watco Danish oil. It does darken over time as most woods do. Of course you could always play around with stains, staying in the red Mahagony family. I would not go and try to use browns because it will muddy the look. Then top coat as you see fit.

BULLWINKLE

That is some of the best sought after wood these days. It is closed grained and very stable. If the wood is furniture grade then it is even more valuable. Whenever I have used it in my scrollsaw projects I just use an oil based Watco Danish oil. It does darken over time as most woods do. Of course you could always play around with stains, staying in the red Mahagony family. I would not go and try to use browns because it will muddy the look. Then top coat as you see fit.
Thanks for the information. I got that wood which is at least 50 years old. A neighbor had a lot of it and was giving it to his son who was burning it in the fireplace. I asked him for some. I like the idea of oil finish. I don't think I want to stain it. I think it's going to look better if kept natural.

Curly

Get it all! Give the son some cheap firewood to burn, even if you have to buy some you are ahead. Try crosscutting at 45º and 90º and see if it is more interesting.

BULLWINKLE

I am looking in europe for a big block of Honduran Rosewood burl. Hard to get. And then the Dutch question : how much? 4 figures?
None of mine is burl. Just the plain wood is both expensive and nearly impossible to find. Shipping adds to the expense. This wood is fairly heavy.

BULLWINKLE

Yep, thats why i am looking here in Europe. It not only the shippingcosts but also the import duties.
I may be wrong but my understanding is that this species is endangered. The available mahogany is from Africa. Similar climate but different minerals in the soil make it different in appearance and properties. I could be wrong. I have not seen Honduran Mahogany sold for many years.

wimkluck

I may be wrong but my understanding is that this species is endangered. The available mahogany is from Africa. Similar climate but different minerals in the soil make it different in appearance and properties. I could be wrong. I have not seen Honduran Mahogany sold for many years.
I was looking for Honduran Rosewood burl. But it could be on the cites list.

duncsuss

I was looking for Honduran Rosewood burl. But it could be on the cites list.
My understanding is that all true rosewoods (Dalbergia) are on the CITES list. You should research whether that means they can be freely sold around the European Union (for example, could somebody in France "export" Honduras Rosewood burl to you without documentation? Or would they have to provide the same documentation as would be needed for them to export it to the USA?)

duncsuss

Beautiful wood, which can sometimes have superb figure.

Do a test on one short piece - sand it through 600 grit or higher, then put a CA finish on it and polish. It might not need further treatment.

wimkluck

My understanding is that all true rosewoods (Dalbergia) are on the CITES list. You should research whether that means they can be freely sold around the European Union (for example, could somebody in France "export" Honduras Rosewood burl to you without documentation? Or would they have to provide the same documentation as would be needed for them to export it to the USA?)
There is one market in the EU. So you can send "everything". I have seen a couple of penblanks from a well know supplier. I think i will order some. If its is a spieces on list 1 it is forbidden to sell it, unless you have cites papers.
Sustainability: Although Honduran rosewood is not evaluated on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species, it is listed on CITES appendix II under the genus-wide restriction on all Dalbergia species—which also includes finished products made of the wood (though finished items under 10 kilograms are exempted).
Unless my finished pen is no more then 10 kilo's I can sell it. (for the non-metric 22.5 pounds)

Last edited:

duncsuss

Unless my finished pen is no more then 10 kilo's I can sell it. (for the non-metric 22.5 pounds)
Not quite. It specifically states "non-commercial" -

It exempts non-commercial items that weigh less than 10 kilograms per shipment ... But the bad news is that if you are selling any type of rosewood (either as lumber, or as a finished product), you can no longer (legally) ship it out of your country.

Woodchipper

Interesting thread and posts. Didn't see Philippine mahogany mentioned. Is it on the CITE list? Back in the mid 50s, my father had a runabout that had Philippine mahogany on the deck.

mdburn_em

I think that Honduran mahogany is still available. Much of it is grown on plantations. It is listed on cites but only because it's availabilities have been reduced. The local Woodcraft gets pallet loads occasionally. I buy a couple boards every time I see it there. I like to carve with it. Beautiful stuff.

Top Bottom