Home Web Page Info

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevers

Hi Folks,
Who do you all use as your personal web sight servers?
I have my sight designed on "front page" and need to find a web sight host. My son was here for a couple of weeks and helped me build it, but he had to go home and we didnt have time to find a host and publish it.
How many pages do they offer,
how much storage (20MB,50MB etc.),
Tech support (i'm kinda illiterate at this),
how much $, i'm willing to pay a little,
any other important info I may be missing.

any links you could give would be great.
Critiques and comments on your satisfaction as well.

Thanks a million

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

I use my own at home. Does that count?

My parents used to use http://www.hostways.com and they were pretty good. In a little over a year that their site was in operation, we never experienced any down time that we know of, and the shopping cart always worked well.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
penturners.org hosts with: http://www.commkal.com/

They have a personal plan with 75MB and Front Page support for around $5 a month. Tell them I sent you.

(I don't personally get a penny for referring anyone, but they cut us a good deal on the high-end hosting we require, so I don't hesitate to send business their way when I can.)

Pipes

We have used myhosting.com for about 4 yrs with almost perfect service NOT much down time at all if any at all !! but there NOT cheap IMO but you get what ya pay for again IMHO ....This is our business host !!

http://affordablepipes.com/

Dario

Check WebHost4Life. It is only $4.95

Here's some features from their ad.

No Banners / Ads!
Windows 2003 Hosting
ASP Web Hosting
Unlimited Transfer / Hits
Unlimited Domain to your site
Unlimited Sub Domain
Static IP Address
ASP, PHP, Perl, CGI
SQL, MS Access
24/7 Toll Free Support
99.9% Uptime Guaranteed!
Domain Registration starts at $6.95/yr

Fangar

I get a ton of free space and bandwidth with comcast.net. Many ISP provide some for free too. You likely won't need much to get started.

Fangar

nilsatcraft

Steve, I've been using the same two companies for two or three years because they're inexpensive, reliable and very capable. ShieldHost offers a plan that costs $3.99/month or $39.30/yr and gives 2GB of space with a 50GB transfer rate. They've been great and they offer lots of free add-ons as part of their control panel. For my domain, I use webdomains4u.com but there are plenty of options for domain hosting if you'd like to have your own url (www.stevespens.com for example). If you want help understanding how all this works, I'd be happy to help- just pm me.

stevers

Thanks a lot Niles, I got it up and running tonight. Went with Commkal. So far the support has been great. Thanks Jeff. I told them you sent me and they said "ya we know Jeff, He's a good customer of ours".
If some of you want to check it out and let me know what you think, i'd appriciate it a lot. I know some may find it a little busy, but I like the way it looks like it's a web site that has to do with wood. I'll undoutedly be making lots of changes as I go along anyway.
Thank you all for the input and check it out and let me know what you think.

stevers

By the way Nils, got the new catalog today. Love all the new products. The new line of Jr.s is pretty cool. I'm going to take it to work with me tommarrow and check it all out.

nilsatcraft

I like the new Jr. Emperors, too- sharp looking pen. Great start on your website, by the way. Just having a presence on the web goes a long way and can be a great resource for potential customers. I don't think I'll ever consider my own site finished- it's an ongoing process but as long as we keep improving them we're doing alright.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Steve,

I like the wood background and your section explaining the craft. One thing I noted, which is a common error is the use of the term "web sight." As I'm sure you know, web site is the correct term. (Frustrated English Major [:)])

stevers

Thanks for the corrections guys. Spelling is my week suit. And I never realized it was an Atrisen pen, Guess I should pay moore attention.
Thanks Nils for the input, comming from you that means a lot.
Site site site i'll fix that tonight.
Thats why I asked you all to look. Second set of eyes you know.
Thanks,

Dario

Originally posted by stevers
<br />Thanks for the corrections guys. Spelling is my week suit. And I never realized it was an Atrisen pen, Guess I should pay moore attention.
Thanks Nils for the input, comming from you that means a lot.
Site site site i'll fix that tonight.
Thats why I asked you all to look. Second set of eyes you know.
Thanks,

At least you know it and willing to admit it. Here is my 2 cent advise, use a word processor with spell check and use it before you post anything on your web site.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Good advice, Dario, but too many people think a word processor will pick up all mistakes. It won't!! Words used incorrectly, but spelled correctly often slip by. Steve has the right attitude for this. Ask for input, appreciate said input and make corrections! Steve, big thumbs up. [^]

stevers

Thank You all for the advice and compliments. Many more changes have been made just in the last couple hours. More pics and lots of corrections. Even a new page with a woodworking theme.
More to come,
Thanks Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom