hollow center

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Redshed

I've been looking for hollow centers for making pool cues or lamps. PSI sells them in a pack with 2 drive centers and a live one, but I cant find just the hollow center. anyone have any recommendations?

sorcerertd

I bought a cheap set of those centers you are talking about (not PSI). I wasn't happy with the points being off center, but have not checked the hollow one. I'll try to check it as best as I can sometime soon. If it is decent and you want it, I'll send it (or the whole set if you like) for the cost of shipping.

A thought for something that would be well machined would be to see if @rherrell would make you one. I won't speak for him, but he does have quite a knack for these things.

Alternately, mount something on a faceplate and shape it to the size/taper you need on the lathe?

farmer

I've been looking for hollow centers for making pool cues or lamps. PSI sells them in a pack with 2 drive centers and a live one, but I cant find just the hollow center. anyone have any recommendations?
Have someone core you some dowels.
Coring wood takes allot of HP/Torque.
I use a Gun drill on a metal lathe that has a spindle bore of 1.5 inches .
Allot of different ways of making a pool cue butt section, there is cored and then not cored .

What is Gun Drilling?

Start Here: Deep Hole Drilling Overview

Gundrilling is a deep hole drilling process that uses a long, thin cutting tool to produce holes in metal at high depth-to-diameter ratios. Gun drilling is effective in diameters from 1 – 50 mm [0.04 – 2.00 in]. A gundrill tool differs from a conventional twist drill by its unique head geometry; a standard gundrill has a single effective cutting edge that removes chips as it advances into a metal workpiece.
The gundrilling process is able to drill deep holes beyond what is possible with conventional machinery and tooling such as twist drills, by using high pressure coolant for clean chip exhaust, even at extreme depths.
Gun drilling was initially developed for the manufacture of gun barrels, where both straightness and barrel durability were essential to properly functioning barrels. The gundrilling process and tooling have been refined for maximum performance and use on modern, dedicated machinery. Firearms continue to be a common application for gundrilling. Other industries include diesel fuel components, medical tooling, plastic injection molds, and more.
Gun drilling can be done, with limited performance, on common CNC machines. Holes with a depth-to-diameter ratio of 20:1 or greater generally require dedicated equipment to achieve the highest productivity and process reliability, and can reach extreme ratios of 400:1 or greater.
1668370160158.png

1668370206175.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom