Historical woods, my views...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi everybody,

Every so often, we see threads that people make based of pens that they made with historical wood pieces.

I myself found a couple of pieces that have some historical significance however not as well known or sourced as others.

Most of you would agree that the vast majority of these woods are quite "plain" in its appearance, Oaks being one of the species that often appear on the market.

Now, "historical significance" may only apply to certain people, some locations and or some countries, world known historical pieces of wood are a lot harder to find and fetch a lot more money, nevertheless, they may not look much but, they have a rich history and story to tell.

I have absolutely no problem with historical significant woods, regardless of what they are, woods with a story are a common item in my "stables" however, not under the historical "umbrella" selection criteria.

So, what is this thread about and what am I trying to say..? well, in the pen making world, pens made with those woods are generally plain, grain and colours, something I would say, wood without "character" however, wood with a "soul" something that needs to be shared with the world but in a way that will be easily and clearly validate/authenticated with some documentation and or images of its origin.

Sometimes this validation is not possible simply because the "claim" is false and made only for personal financial gain and in total disrespect to those that dedicate a lot of time, effort and expense to provided accurate and authentic evidence/proof to give the piece of wood, the respect and admiration it deserves for what it is.

I believe, pens made of wood that has general historical significance, deserve great presentation and workmanship, the wood looks is not the sale/interest point, the case it is presented with and the quality of the authenticity evidence, should leave no doubt and room for speculation otherwise it won't work well...!

I also understand that, in so many cases, the cost of proper authentication is far too high compared with the value of the wood itself and in those cases, people rely on certain pieces of paper that worth absolutely nothing to those that know what to look for.

For display/shows/etc. purposes, character and colour and normally the "bite" that attracts people, there is little need to further explanations with those, if pleasing to the eye, people get their attention to it, however, when public sales of the less colourful pens such as most historical wood pens, there is a need to display something of large size that brings people attention to what it says and therefore, an interest in seeing what is all about.

Now, what is more important, wood with plenty of character and colours or plain wood with a soul and story to tell...?

I don't think that "important" is the correct word however and from experience, I can say that some very pretty wood species/trees did have a very short life and a very boring one, seed carried by the wind, they grow in isolated places with little to no action, sometimes the only tree of that species for miles, hardly visible due to bigger trees surrounding it, they lived 20 to 40 years and died standing up, where they remain until termites and wood borer totally devour it or, George's come along, cut it and shares it with the world, not much of a soul but plenty of character and colour, it may not be "famous" but it is important to me...!:)

Cheers
George

Top Bottom