Hi from PA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JoeScroller

Yep another new member. So, I am a longtime scroller and have the past few years turned some pens for the troops at a local WoodCraft Store. This year I found it so rewarding again and enjoyable too. I have been slowing down on my scrolling this past year and now think I'd like to try turning as an additional wood working skill and past time. At least that's what I am thinking about right now.
First things first, I need a lathe. So, limited $$$$$, what can I get started with in the way of a lathe for making pens, bottle stops, etc...smaller items without breaking the budget?
Thanks to all for reading this maybe replying.
Joe in PA:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

Hi Joe. Welcome to the IAP. There are a good number of members from SE PA.

There may be better deals out there, I went with the HF (Harbor Freight) lathe #34706.

I waited for a sale and did very well (I think). It's been a great lathe and I have no complaints. Check it out.

SonOfMartin

Hello from Hershey!

I have two old lathes - a CarbaTec mini that was my dad's and truly it's my favorite little lathe. I know others may not agree, but I'm pretty pleased with it. Check out Craigslist or eBay - they pop up there sometimes for very good prices.

I also have another lathe, a 1936 Craftsman. I got it on eBay for $10.50. It was a local pickup (across the river from Philly) so by the time I factored in gas and tolls, I have about $40 in it.

What I'm suggesting is - don't be afraid of old used lathes - I figured I'd start with something used but don't feel a need to change now - I like my old lathes - so take a look at what's out there!

ctubbs

Welcome Joe. My lathe is an old Rockwell/Delta school lathe. It is UGLY! The school painted it their colors, green and yeller, not yellow but yeller. It did need new bearrings in the headstock, available at the local NAPA store. I converted the motor to a magnetic starter for safety and am in the process of adding a variable speed controller. All in all, this is a very heavy and sturdy lathe. do not be afraid of older used equipment. Quiet often a bargan can be had and it is a lot of fun bringing back from teh scrap heap a wonderful piece of equipment.
Charles

Atherton Pens

Welcome from Powder Springs, GA.
My only suggestion about the lathe is to get a Variable Speed (VS) if possible. I find that to be the most useful option. I also agree in checking for used equipment. Just about everything in my shop was used by someone before me, I'm just extending the life of some good equipment.
Again, welcome to IAP.

randyrls

Welcome Joe! Take a look at Craigslist for your area. Do an advanced search on Google and use the keywords "craigslist wood lathe pennsylvania (PA)" and limit the search to the last month. Since you are close to NJ, you may want to search there too!

Moosewatcher

Welcome to the forum Joe. You could try PSI's showroom which is just off the Trevose/Bensalem exit of the PA turnpike (not a long drive from Allentown). You might pick up a used lathe there and can look at the new ones first hand.

Ken

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Joe. Glad to have you here.

I'm just putting one link in here for reference - it is a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.
http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

You've been looking around for a bit. If you need more info, there are many here ready to answer your questions. And don't forget the great resources we have available through the Library and Wiki links on the home page.

Top Bottom