Hi From Iowa

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

M3rl3n

Hi All,

I am a middle aged guy who has always loved turning, just have not had the opportunity. In HS I wanted to turn a set of goblets out of walnut and my shop teacher said that it was too advanced for a sophomore, but to try it. I glued up 8 blanks and turned 8 goblets... didn't ruin a one and got an A+ in the class. Fast forward to 3 years ago, I picked up a Delta Homecraft lathe for next to nothing, turned a couple of pens, then put the lathe to the side because I did not like the stand that it was on.

In December I made a dream bench for the lathe. Since then I have made about 40 pens!! I'm hooked. Most have been out of wood. I did two out of aluminum. SHARP!! Then I found this site and am drinking in all the knowledge here.

I also want to turn other things especially artistic vases and such, and I really need to take some pictures of my pens for your consideration, unfortunately I cannot take the time away from my pen turning. :biggrin:

I just picked up some Corian and am using some of the white milled down to 1/8" for a cross accent in cocobolo. It is glued up and I hope to turn it this weekend (or Friday night :wink:). I also glued up a couple of blanks to try.

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
HI Dan, where in Iowa are you from? I live close to Drakesville. South of Ottumwa. Welcome to the site, I'm relatively new to the site also, it is fantastic. The wealth of knowledge is incredible. Jim

Hi All,

I am a middle aged guy who has always loved turning, just have not had the opportunity. In HS I wanted to turn a set of goblets out of walnut and my shop teacher said that it was too advanced for a sophomore, but to try it. I glued up 8 blanks and turned 8 goblets... didn't ruin a one and got an A+ in the class. Fast forward to 3 years ago, I picked up a Delta Homecraft lathe for next to nothing, turned a couple of pens, then put the lathe to the side because I did not like the stand that it was on.

In December I made a dream bench for the lathe. Since then I have made about 40 pens!! I'm hooked. Most have been out of wood. I did two out of aluminum. SHARP!! Then I found this site and am drinking in all the knowledge here.

I also want to turn other things especially artistic vases and such, and I really need to take some pictures of my pens for your consideration, unfortunately I cannot take the time away from my pen turning. :biggrin:

I just picked up some Corian and am using some of the white milled down to 1/8" for a cross accent in cocobolo. It is glued up and I hope to turn it this weekend (or Friday night :wink:). I also glued up a couple of blanks to try.

Dan

seamus7227

Welcome to the addiction again! Its great to have another new member to the site, go check out the library if you haven't already, there is soo much info in there, your brain will explode if you try to read it all in one day!

M3rl3n

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome.

I live in Robins, just north of Cedar Rapids. My day job is as an engineer at that big company that help airplanes fly and keeps our troops and country safe.

Dan

jdmacdo

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome.

I live in Robins, just north of Cedar Rapids. My day job is as an engineer at that big company that help airplanes fly and keeps our troops and country safe.

Dan

Welcome from the other member who lives in Robins... It's nice to see someone else local who is into pen turning. I know there is one other local member, so there is starting to be a little group right here in town.

M3rl3n

Welcome to the group....
I live in CR, and work as a Policeman in Robins 3 nights a week...don't speed!

Mike, you and I have talked, no, not over a ticket, but I'm also a photographer, your wife knows mine, we (Jan and I) have two goldens, and you and I have a mutual friend in Scott C.

Small World.

Dan
PS... so much of a coincidence, that I had to post here, but will PM if you need more hints.

M3rl3n

Welcome, from Wisconsin. I was raised in Iowa, and my Mom still lives in Pella.

Thanks Tony,

Born in Wisconsin, joined the army after HS in Sun Prairie lived and traveled to a number of places around the world, now back in the midwest.

Go Pack GO!! :biggrin:

Dan

M3rl3n

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome.

Dan

Welcome from the other member who lives in Robins... It's nice to see someone else local who is into pen turning. I know there is one other local member, so there is starting to be a little group right here in town.

Well, sounds like we need to have a get together and show off some pens!!!

Dan

dankc908

Welcome, Dan, to the IAP. I am another Iowan - Council Bluffs - which is about as far from you as one can get and still live in Iowa. We Iowans ought to all get together in, maybe, Des Moines sometime!

Another Dan from Iowa

Top Bottom