Hi from Iowa

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GrayWolf

Hello everyone. My name is Todd Ransom and I'm from Mason City, Iowa. I'm new into pen turning. I've had a lathe for many years that I've only used for cleaning and dent removal of pool cue shafts. I tried to make pens a couple years back, but only made a couple of pens then life got in the way. I recently decided that I wanted to really dive into this venture and see where it takes me.

I've been collecting blanks, pen kits and various other materials and equipment to give myself a head start. In the near future, I plan to get the equipment to start stabilizing wood and casting my own blanks. My biggest obstacle if finding decent wood to use. There is no place within 2 hours of me that carries anything other than domestic hardwood and very little choices of that. Any advice or leads to reputable (I've been burned by a couple of places already) places to find quality materials would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking forward to meeting others that share this hobby and learning as much as I can about all aspects of making pens.

20191127_093609[1].jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Welcome Todd.
I started turning pens using oak from a drop-leaf table bought for £10.00 from a charity shop. Cheap as chips, dry as a bone and enough timber to last a lifetime.
Alan

magpens

Hi Todd !! . Welcome to IAP !!

The best place to get quality blanks is right here on IAP from other members who sell ... some quite regularly.
Keep your eye on the IAP seller forums which you can find by clicking on "Forums" in the bar above any thread.
Send me a private message if you want any additional info.

GrayWolf

Welcome Todd.
I started turning pens using oak from a drop-leaf table bought for £10.00 from a charity shop. Cheap as chips, dry as a bone and enough timber to last a lifetime.
Alan
Thanks. I was lucky enough to pick up 24 ft of 1" x 7" zebrawood for $10. I'll get a lot of practice with that.

GrayWolf

Hi Todd !! . Welcome to IAP !!

The best place to get quality blanks is right here on IAP from other members who sell ... some quite regularly.
Keep your eye on the IAP seller forums which you can find by clicking on "Forums" in the bar above any thread.
Send me a private message if you want any additional info.
Thanks. I'm just starting to find my way around the site. I'll be busy reading and learning for a long time.

howsitwork

welcome, nice work in the photos . There's a good thread on how to turn " broken " hardwood into resin hybrid blanks that should keep you occupied if you want ? i found it via utube on resin egg blanks . I think it was a heath; knuckles one.

have fun

Ian

GrayWolf

welcome, nice work in the photos . There's a good thread on how to turn " broken " hardwood into resin hybrid blanks that should keep you occupied if you want ? i found it via utube on resin egg blanks . I think it was a heath; knuckles one.

have fun

Ian
Thanks. I'll check out that thread.

moke

GrayWolf,
"Is there a place to get Exotic wood or burl in CR"....not really. There is a great place on the West edge of Iowa City right off 80, and maybe they would cut a larger chunk, but I'm not sure they would cut it to size for you. I'm kind of an acrylic guy, so I really haven't tried much. I do some segmenting with wood but that is about it.

We have a turners club that I pick up an occasional burl at. There are some mills around, mostly for flat work. They are up North in Strawberry Point and Winthrop. Sorry...

GrayWolf

GrayWolf,
"Is there a place to get Exotic wood or burl in CR"....not really. There is a great place on the West edge of Iowa City right off 80, and maybe they would cut a larger chunk, but I'm not sure they would cut it to size for you. I'm kind of an acrylic guy, so I really haven't tried much. I do some segmenting with wood but that is about it.

We have a turners club that I pick up an occasional burl at. There are some mills around, mostly for flat work. They are up North in Strawberry Point and Winthrop. Sorry...
Thanks for the information. I'll have to check out the place in Iowa City when I get that way again.

Top Bottom