Hi from Cincinnati

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JBAB

Hello from Cincinnati. I am as new as you can get to this art. I don't have any equipment. I have never turned a pen before. I have built cabinetry and furniture and thought that I would try this on for size. I have been looking at mini lathes and other equipment. Any advice I can get would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

Jesse,

My best advice would be to run away as fast as you can -- this stuff is highly addictive. I suspect, however, it's already too late for that, so welcome to the forum.

-Barry

Jim15

Hi Jesse,
Welcome to the group. I am from Cincinnati also, if you would like to come to my house and see what you are getting into send me a private message and I'll give you my phone number.

Last edited:

Verne

Morning Jesse and welcome to the group. And yes, run, Run, RUn, RUN as fast as you can.
Check out the library and you will probably find more information than you care to see about the different equipment you might need, want, or wish for,
Enjoy,
Vern

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Welcome, Jesse. Be sure and take Jim up on his offer to visit. Seeing tools and lathes and how they are used is invaluable.

Since I started totally on my own before the IAP was formed, I made a TON of mistakes, most of which I am embarrassed to admit!!

JBAB

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I have made contact with Jim and he is going to show me the ropes on Monday. Thanks to everyone. Hopefully, I will be turning soon. I will post my first pen as soon as I get it done.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Jesse, Join in on the fun here!

Below is a link to PDF file that gives a general and concise overview of different tools, methods and ideas related to pen turning. There are a couple of small mistakes in it that hopefully can be corrected soon after the Birthday Bash, but overall it may be helpful. Just be careful, this hobby has been known to help people part with their money. :wink:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

Top Bottom