HF Pressure Pot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reiddog1

I just got one about a week ago and have not had any issues so far. I pretty much have used it every day since I got it. What type of troubles are you having?

Dave

RetiredJake

Once I learned to really tighten the lid to stop it leaking, I have had no problems with mine. Been using it about 10 months.

Jake

Dakcrew

I have had mine and followed the tutorial on here on building the vacuum pressure pot. It has been put to work about a half dozen times without issue or failure to about 35 or 40 lbs pressure.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Curtis did, see it here.

Lin.
Please be aware that the pot in question was modified.

I have done some testing of these pots and so has others. Our first hand experience with them is that they work as long as you remember they are not made to take high pressures. I have 4 of them working as well as several larger pots and have not had any problems with the HF pots at all. One test that was done with one, some soft headed individuals (my brother and friends) decided to attempt an explosion of the pot. They took it up over 200psi and it held, the downside was that one of the HF airhoses did not and when it blew it whipped around and caused one person to need several stitches to close the wound. The pots work for what we use them for and when we push the envelope, they fail. The pots I have are marked for 80psi max and that should be respected. 80psi is more pressure than you will ever need to make blanks.

Please do not attempt to blow one of these up. The testing was done under a controlled enviroment and someone was still injured. This particular testing was done under the supervision of local firefighters and a military explosive expert.

One test that was done with one, some soft headed individuals (my brother and friends) decided to attempt an explosion of the pot. They took it up over 200psi and it held, the downside was that one of the HF airhoses did not and when it blew it whipped around and caused one person to need several stitches to close the wound. [/COLOR]

That is b@*ls bigger than I have. I Know what can happen with shrapnel at that PSI.
What I did was use a lower durometer rubber and cast a new gasket. I can get 80 PSI with no problems, but cast at 50-60.

Jim Burr

Banned
Facts are that they don't have a good rep. I have yet to hear of a Binks, develbiss(spell check) or Craftsman failing. Only one with repeat failure reports is HF.

Jim if you are still using ANY of the original fittings you are going to have leaks. The regulator and pressure valve are the worst. I have been using mine for about 3 months now and cast at 50 psi and I may lose a pound in 12 hours.

Mike

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Just remember, every time you air up a pressure pot, you are creating a bomb waiting to go off in your shop! Personally, I don't trust Chinese quality control to contain that bomb. Sure, many have had good luck with them. For me, the difference in price is nothing compared to my deductible at the emergency room should that Chinese quality control not be up to snuff on the day that pot was made!

Marko50

Just my .02 worth. Get yourself a good old Made In The USA pressure pot, aka, Binks, Graco, LaGrange, DeVilbiss. They're ASME certified and won't blow you to pieces at some future juncture. Made in China….? All bets are off.

ElMostro

Just my .02 worth. Get yourself a good old Made In The USA pressure pot, aka, Binks, Graco, LaGrange, DeVilbiss. They're ASME certified and won't blow you to pieces at some future juncture. Made in China….? All bets are off.

Just FYI, at least one of those "good old Made In The USA pressure pot" (binks comes to mind) uses Chinese parts.

Eugene.

mvande21

I have a hf pot and the relief valve on it when I got it only went to 30-40 psi before it would trip. I bought a different one and now it works fine. I too do not push my luck with the psi 50 is the max I go and my blanks turn out just fine.

EdGallop41

I bought a HF tank recently and after replacing the pressure release valve, the "T" that connects to the regulator, and the two fittings connected to the lid I had no leaks except at the gasket. I flipped the gasket over and there were no leak but after a couple uses it began to leak again. I put WD40 Silicone on and wiped it off but after a couple uses it started leaking again. If I screw even pressure by alternating turns on the clamps the leak is very minimal and pressure holds plenty long enough. The gauge drops slower than a minute hand. I am about to make a flat rubber gasket for it and glue it to the lid groove but it isn't really necessary unless I want it to hold overnight. Even pressure when tightening, and make it tight, and if it still leaks it is very minimal.

All the HF fittings are of very poor quality but are not expensive to replace. I use a one way check valve on the intake and have a ball valve attached to release the pressure but you could just pull out the pressure valve. I put a second pressure gauge in place of the paint pipe to read pressure in the tank to compare with the gauge that came with the tank. It reads pressure at the regulator and does not always read true tank pressure until the air stops flowing. I like my HF tank after the changes but it was junk before.

ElMostro

Just FYI, at least one of those "good old Made In The USA pressure pot" (binks comes to mind) uses Chinese parts.

Eugene.

Which parts? Not seen any with made in China stamped or printed on mine. Then again, mine are a few years old.

I guess I missed this question when this post originally came out. All the guages of my Binks tanks are labeled with a "Made in China" stamp.

Top Bottom