HF Pressure Pot leakage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

andrewleeheck

Hey all: I recently bought and modified a HF pressure pot, and followed the assembly directions found here in the forums and library meticulously. But when I pressurize I get substantial leakage around the rim. I can maintain about 40 psi with some help from the compressor, but anything over that blows out several sides simultaneously. It has done this since I bought it. I realize that the pot only has a working max of 90 PSI, and I'm not interested in going that high. Maybe 60, but I'd love to be able to unhook my compressor.

In my infinite wisdom [?] I removed the gasket, cut a cork gasket, and replaced the original on top of it. Same problem.

There is no leakage around any of the fittings or the connections--I've ruled that out.

The pot holds vacuum ok for a few hours, but I can't pull more than 20 in/hg using a venturi pump and a powerful compressor.

Bottom line: any ideas about gasket replacement or other modifications that might help maintain a higher pressure or pull a higher vacuum?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
coat the top of the tank rim with a light coat of vaseline. Remove the the gasket from the lid and fill the 'U' where it used to be with silicone sealant, about 1/2 full. Carefully set the lid down on the tank, press gently, let dry for a week or so (silicone needs air to dry and you just removed most of its source of air). While it is drying put a couple of registration marks between the lid and the tank so you can put it back together exactly the same way every time you use it.

That should give you a 100% seal.

GK

karlkuehn

Banned
Don't sweat it Andrew, one of my pots has done the same thing since day one. I tried everything I could think of, and after inspecting the gasket, I noticed that it sits a little farther away from the rim than on other parts of the lid, and that right where I'm getting the leak from. I just use an Irwin hand squeezy clamp on that part of the rim, but I need to fix it eventually. Let me know how the silicone trick works out. I just don't have a week to let this thing sit around and dry at the moment, so I'm suffering through with the clamp, and refreshing the pressure on the pot as needed to keep it at 60 lbs.

It's the only one of my pots that has that problem, and it came that way straight out of the box. Good old HF quality control. [B)]

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Honestly, I don't know if it will actually take a week to dry. It might take less. I just know that the only source of air will be the little tiny seam on the outside (and a wee bit on the inside until the air in their gets saturated with silicone fumes).

But if it doesn't dry all the way before you clamp it down/pressurize it you will have soft silicone flying everywhere. See other threads about what it takes to remove silicone from your wood/finish. Not fun.

Maybe after a day or so you could remove the lid (hopefully the silicone will have skinned over by then) and let it dry "open". Then you only have 1/8 - 1/4" of silicone to dry in open air. Overnight would do it.

GK

MichaelS

The thing is made in China. Who knows how long the lid has sat clamped unevenly to the pot. I had the same problem and a skim of oil fixed it. Your gasket could be so deformed that nothing you do to it will help. In that case call HF and order a new gasket or make one yourself. Use rubber as cork will not hold 60 psi nor will it hold a vacuum. A good heating supply company that sells steam fittings or one that repairs compressors could have what you need.

Top Bottom