HF 45276-6VGA Lathe....???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

I have the one without the sanding attachment. It also doesn't have the MT2 but otherwise here are issues they have in common.

1. The motor is strong and the speeds available can be easily worked with.
2. The threading on both the tailstock and headstock is generations old and it took be forever to find an adapter to run a talon chuck on it.
3. The toolrest and tailstock are non-standard and tighten from underneath.
4. The tailstock on mine kept backing off from the vibration of the machine until I had the face of the locking nut machined to give it more surface contact with the tailstock support.
5. The live center on the tailstock can not be changed out so you are stuck with it as is though I have done spindle turning using it.

Other than that - it does make a good horizontal sander after attaching 3/4" plywood to a faceplate. I still have it in the garage as I feel I can still use it to rough out larger bowl blanks.

alamocdc

This was my first lathe. Sold it for $65 because I couldn't find scroll chucks and other attachments to fit it and didn't want to have an adapter made. Bill lists the negatives and I couldn't find anything positive enough to keep it.

redfishsc

OK you convinced me not to buy it, sounds like it would make a pathetic pen lathe since you can't change out the live center (how stupid is that?) and doesn't have a Morse taper.

esheffield

As an aside, I've seen some decent references to this model: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34706

Apparently it's a very close clone of a Jet. A bit more expensive than the one being discussed, but cheaper than the Jet it imitates.

I have NO experience with it, just seen on some other sites that it's an OK lathe. Anyone here have any experience with it? I'm thinking of going to something new myself soon (currently have a Ridgid monotube bed style). Kinda leaning toward the new PSI Turncrafter Pro VS (NOT the Turncrafter Plus which is also VS).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom