HF 2hp Dust collector

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete00

Howdy all
in case anyone is interested its on sale again on line.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45378

Im eventually going to put my dc unit outside in a "shed", or inside in a vented closet. To keep the fine dust away from me.

In the mean time i want to vent it directely outside. I want to keep the bottom bag to pick up the big pieces and throw the dust outside.

Im not sure how i should replace the top bag. I have found some plastic buckets about the same size as the bag. I could cut a hole in it and attach a fitting for the hose, then out through the wall.

Or i guess i could put just one big bucket outside with cover and exhaust port.

Suggestions please....... or a picture of a setup like this.

thanks......pete

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Pete,

Things I can advise you are...
1. Replace the top bag with a finer bag like this one http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G5556-0-3-Micron-Dust/dp/B0000DD4B6/sr=1-4/qid=1160748566/ref=sr_1_4/002-6247222-1817655?ie=UTF8&s=hi

2. Line the lower bag with heavy duty (contrator grade) plastic trash bags which you can get at WalMart. Not sure but I think I am using the 45 gallon sized bags. Fine dust can escape from the bottom if you don't. The bags also makes for easy clean up...you will know what I mean when you try to clean a dust full bag. It isn't easy or healthy.

3. Build a pre-filter for the big chunks before it reaches your DC impeller. Save you from a lot of noice and save your impeller and housing from lots of dings.

With all these done (or just the first 2) ..you won't need to move it out...unless you still want to [;)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
WHat you are attempting to do is good in theory.
THere are a couple odf things to consider.
You will need "make up " air to replace the air you are exhausting out.
It would be far easier to replace the top bag with a .05 micron bag and leave it inside.
When you do put it outside you will still need make up air.
This is important if there are any gas or oil burning appliances nearby, water heaters, furnaces.
You will be exhausting air that you paid to heat or cool and replaceing it with the same volume you are venting.

Doghouse

Eagle is correct. One option is to put it in a closet and have a duct for the return air. Make the duct able to accept standard sized household filters and add 2-3 of different quality. so you filter the return air even more. I have an aircleaner opposite my DC so it filters the air the DC kicks out. I have to clean the filter for that almost every other day.

beamer

My standard response:

Read http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm

It's not just for cyclones. It's the most complete source of woodworking dust collection information I've ever seen. :)

pete00

Thanks for all the info.

A few months back i pick up an infection of some sorts, after a bunch of doctor visits and no one could figure it out, my first reaction was "im gonna die from boola boola wood dust".

So i stopped playing with wood until we figure out what it was or is.
We think is a viral thing and not any relation to a wood reaction.

So after that i did some dust reaserch.

This is gonna be another one of those this works for me it may not work for you things.

Here's the plan to set up my DC system.
Eventually it will be placed outside of my garage in its own shed/closet along with the other noise makers, like air compressors, and shop vacs..... The garage is a stand alone 20x20 foot building about 90 feet from house.

In the mean time im gonna try to vent it directly outside.
In either case ill plan for replacing the air, even if it means opening doors/windows like i did all last winter. My dust collecting last year was to put a big box fan in an open window and wheel over the tool i needed to work with.

If you remember i posted something last year like.." if i dont drink my coffee fast enough it freezes on me....no heat in garage except a couple small space heaters......."

If that dont work
enclose everything in the garage in a vented closet.

and if that dont work
replace the stock bags with 1 micron system.

well thats the plan....

WAIT.... WAIT !!!!! i forgot to tell everyone the power company is comming to hook me up to the electric pole. I will have power SOOOOOON..........YAA..HOOOOO no more extentions cords.!!!

any way.......thanks

Hi Pete,
Guess I echo the post here.. I put my HF 2HP DC in an 'outhouse' on the end of my shop. Put a switch on the wall inside so I can turn it on/off from insde the shop.

Right now I have to replace the motor on the blower... it stopped yesterday after I shut down for lunch. Called HF and they are sending me a new motor on warranty... my DC is only about 9 months old... but gets lots of work outs.

20061013234521_New%20Shop%20007.jpg
<br />

20061013234441_New%20Shop%20006.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom