Hey from SD

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Lar

I just started turning about 3 months ago and am hooked. I do a lot of wood work and scroll saw pictures. My wife thinks we should remodel on weekends. I found this website about a week ago. Until then, I had a lot of questions and wanted to try many different things that it seems many have tried and been successful or failed, much like myself. Thanks for all of the info, advice and pictures. This is a great website and thanks for all the time (and failures) you have saved me already.
Old Lar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wild Turkey

Welcome Larry. You will find some really great information as well as people here. Welcome to the addiction!!!! Are you close to the Rosebud Indian reservation. Used to hunt dogs close to Valentine Neb or should I say right across the state line.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Larry, . . . all the way from Japan too. Join in the fun and post some picts for your work.

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Welcome Larry. You will find some really great information as well as people here. Welcome to the addiction!!!! Are you close to the Rosebud Indian reservation. Used to hunt dogs close to Valentine Neb or should I say right across the state line.

Valentine, you mean someone else knows where that is? :biggrin:

Old Lar

Thanks for the welcomes... I live in Pierre about 50 miles north of the Rosebud Reservation and 2 hours from Valentine.

Old Lar

Thanks for the advice. I learn something new everytime I read a thread or turn a new pen. It all takes time to do it right and I have found that yours and my right may not be the same. Thanks for the links.

Old Lar

Welcome from North Texas! Do you have to thaw your wood out before you turn it?
If you are from N Texas, you may be thawing your wood also. We did warm up here to 15 today, but are cooling off for the next couple weeks. We can look forward to a spring thaw of 40-50 then. That's when the shavings start flying.

Really, I turn up the heat in my garage.

Top Bottom