Hex plus pocket clip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Valleyboy

I've shown a few of these hexagonal pens before but one of the tricky elements I hadn't shared was adding a pocket clip. I typically use the hidden ring approach and cut a small notch in the cap to allow the clip bar to pass through. That's pretty straightforward on cylindrical shaped pens as you can do it anywhere along the circumference of the cap. However when trying to cut that notch so that it's centrally positioned on one of the facets of the hexagonal cap, well, it's not quite so easy.

In the end I used an edge finder on my vertical mill in order to locate the position of each edge and then I cut the notch at the half way point. I did think of this approach at the start but spent quite a lot of time thinking how I'd do it without the mill, and even went to the lengths of making a small jig I thought I could use to align my cutting tool, but it wasn't particularly satisfactory.

The only thing I don't like about this approach is that I have to cut the notch before I shake and finish the cap (usually I'd do it last). This because I shape, sand and buff the pens by hand and in doing so I may damage the cap if I catch the notch or I may over do the sanding/polishing one side of the cap slightly, meaning the edge finder approach would provide inaccurate results when trying to find the centre. So even though it works well I'm still considering some other ideas.

Anyway here it is. It's pink and I very nearly kept it as I really like the way it looks but in the end I sold it. One of the pictures makes the clip look slightly off centre but it is a trick of the light. Honestly…

I've used my standard 13mm threads for the cap and it's fitted with a c/c fed Bock nib. The main body of the pen is cellulose acetate and the accent colours are acrylic with sterling silver trims.

Cheers
Ash

45D2B0FA-9900-4F5F-B058-F9FCEE802AF7.jpegBCE05C6C-2F6B-4420-A0BF-892B43175103.jpeg3C658868-4CF9-47EE-8C03-FAC5B272B55C.jpeg3AC8E536-990A-434E-9993-A8374ED17627.jpeg81F46C46-2AAE-4B93-924D-CB79B5B8EBFB.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

That is a beautiful pen! I have no idea what you are talking about with the notch, but I can understand how the hex requires more precision. Are you able to show us what piece it is that you notched?

Valleyboy

That is a beautiful pen! I have no idea what you are talking about with the notch, but I can understand how the hex requires more precision. Are you able to show us what piece it is that you notched?
Thank you and I realise I didn't explain that very well. Here is a picture of the notch. The ring on the clip seats into the top of the cap and the little bar that connects the clip to the ring passes through the notch. The finial then screws into the top of the cap to hold it in place.
Sorry it's a poor photo - I had to screenshot a little video I had made so it's a bit blurry but hopefully you get the idea.
EABBF350-FE30-4A91-884D-2D29A16CFD67.jpeg

Alan Morrison

Ash, that's a great piece of craftsmanship. Thanks for the extra 'notch' photograph. I had a bit of difficulty understanding as well, though, not because of your explanation, but because I have never made a 'kitless' before. Your photo explains all.

Alan

Valleyboy

Ash, that's a great piece of craftsmanship. Thanks for the extra 'notch' photograph. I had a bit of difficulty understanding as well, though, not because of your explanation, but because I have never made a 'kitless' before. Your photo explains all.

Alan
Thanks Alan. I think I got to the point in my rather long post where I reckoned people had probably stopped reading, so I wrapped it up a bit hastily…

Cheers
Ash

Jarod888

Love the pen! One suggestion for future photos, choose a background that is less busy. The grain of the bark distracts from the pen. It's difficult to see how pretty it is because the pen and the background blend together.

Woodchipper

Love the pen! One suggestion for future photos, choose a background that is less busy. The grain of the bark distracts from the pen. It's difficult to see how pretty it is because the pen and the background blend together.
Solid color rough cloth or a short nap terry cloth towel. I use tan cloth for my photos.

Top Bottom