Herringbone blanks x2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jokker78

After the pen that almost made me lose my cookies. My wife said she wanted one.
So I made another blank out of walnut and cherry. I died the epoxy red.
I also did another one out of walnut and maple with red epoxy. My job has me working everyday. So I don't get much shop time. I probably should have take a better picture of the rough blank.

Attachments

• 20200313_182330.jpg
    20200313_182330.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 351
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

What did you use to color the epoxy ?

I think I see how the herringbones are going ..... but I'll save my admiration until the pen(s) is/are made !!

Lookin' good so far !!

jokker78

No problem everything will be well setup for you when you do. Believe me I have a group of pens I just never finished. got bored and moved onto something else or some other reason.
I leave for a 4 day fishing trip Thursday morning.
So it will be next week sometime

jokker78

Well I had a failure ☹️
But I went ahead and finished what was left.
I'm not crazy about the walnut and cherry combo.

Attachments

• 20200317_212931.jpg
    20200317_212931.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 231

jttheclockman

A couple observations. The blank exploded but was not on a seam or joint from the photo so this had to be operator error and maybe took too big of a cut. Second the red epoxy did nothing to enhance the joints from what I see. Agree the different woods were not that far apart as far as color wise. But I am sure it was a learning experience and that is how we have to look at things like this. You can probably save this with some trim rings on the ends. Not that hard to do. Thanks for letting us know how it went and hope your fishing trip was a success.

jokker78

A couple observations. The blank exploded but was not on a seam or joint from the photo so this had to be operator error and maybe took too big of a cut. Second the red epoxy did nothing to enhance the joints from what I see. Agree the different woods were not that far apart as far as color wise. But I am sure it was a learning experience and that is how we have to look at things like this. You can probably save this with some trim rings on the ends. Not that hard to do. Thanks for letting us know how it went and hope your fishing trip was a success.
I'm on my way to the fishing trip now. I did not try to save it. I'll stick with a light and dark wood together.
I has working on the end of the blank when it exploded. I had a catch and boom.

Uffda

Thank you for posting the results. I was very interested in seeing if the epoxy could be seen in the blank. It looks like it is would only be worth it if there were some gaps in the glue-up. Thank you, and good luck on the next one.

Top Bottom