Here's My Shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

raltenhofen

Am I really the first to post a picture?

These pics I took before I had everything in order, so it looks junkier than it is now.

Here's how my design evolved.

First and foremost I decided if I was going to be a serious woodworker and survive to tell about it, I had to have a serious dust collection system. You see, I learned the hard way about my allergy to mesquite. I had tried using my shop vac before. It worked ok but it's noisy and increases setup time.

After doing a lot of research I decided the best option was a cyclone. That's the first thing I built and installed.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

The layout is paramount if you're doing a fixed dust collection system. So get out your graph paper or CAD program. Consider infeed and outfeed. Consider electric power and lighting (regular fluorescent lighting alone is not enough). Designate space for wood storage (you'll never have enough).

The two workbenches act as outfeed tables for my table saw. The bench on the right is a design I found on the web that is perfectly versatile. It houses my planer, chop saw, router table and downdraft table. The dust collector design is a modofication to the WOOD magazine design. I lengthened the cone to increase efficiency ( but in doing so had to cut a hole in the ceiling to accomodate the extra height).

Enough for now. If you have any questions, let me know.

200539155329_shoppic1small.jpg

200539155356_shoppic2small.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

raltenhofen

My cyclone works great as long as you only have on blast gate open at a time. I spent a lot of time researching the design. One of the most controversial questions was whether or not regular Home Depot-variety ductwork would work. My conclusion: Works just fine. What I will never figure out is why the fitting manufacturers do not make their fitting slide into each other. They have the same diameter and they don't make connector fittings. (I'm talking about the inexpensive plastic fittings.) So every time I wanted to connect a blast gate to a y-fitting, for example, I had to add 4 inches for a connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom