Here’s a fun question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Here in Michigan, when you come to a stop sign, but don't come to a complete stop and just slowly roll through the intersection, it's known as a Michigan stop. Since we all come from different parts of the country and world. What, if anything is it called where you live?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

derekdd

Here in Wisconsin we are just happy the Illinois cars are able to slow down at all.
You big city Wisconsin boys have trouble with Illinois drivers?

They don't come all the way up here to the North Woods, luckily.

Rolling stop is what I've heard it called, also.

Kenny Durrant

There's a story about a cop pulling over a guy that slowed down and not stopping at a stop sign. The driver said no one was coming so no need to completely stop. The cop said your supposed to stop at a stop sign. The driver asked what's was the big deal. The cop asked the driver to step out of the the car. The driver did and the cop pulled out his night stick and said" I'm going to start beating you with this stick and you tell me if you want me to stop or slow down"!

egnald

I think in most of the US it is called a "California Stop" or "California Roll". Some of my relatives from Whittier, CA called it a "Hollywood Stop". The funniest I have heard is the "Come to a complete slow". The other one was "The bold life choice".

Of course being from somewhat rural Nebraska I have also heard it called a "Farmers Stop".

The funniest joke I recall related to this went something like this:
The new lawyer that had just passed the bar did a rolling stop. Then he sees the lights come on and pulls over to the curb. The policeman asks for his License and Registration, but when the policeman hands over the ticket, the lawyer says he did slow down and check for traffic and that he will only take the ticket if the policeman can show him the difference between a rolling stop and a complete stop. The policeman says, OK, then takes out his night-stick and starts bludgeoning the lawyer. After about 30 seconds the policeman asks the lawyer "Do you want me to stop or should I just slow down?".

Dave

A rolling stop here.
But, I more often have heard the term "take a Michigan left" , referring to them screwy interstections where you must go past where you want to go, and make a uturn to go to the road you wanted to go left on.

jrista

Last time I did that (which was a long time ago now, I guess...I think it was some time in 2016, maybe 2017), the cop said I'd made a "rolling stop" ... This is in Colorado.

When I was young and learning to drive, it was known as a 2nd gear stop.

Fast forward to 2023 suburban Atlanta, GA, you had better be at a full stop for a minimum of 2-seconds or you risk a traffic stop a potential fine and points.

Pen_man_ship

There is a joke somewhere about some people smoking pot waiting at a stop sign. An officer witnessing the car not moving for fifteen minutes went over to investigate. When asked why they hadn't moved, they replied that they were waiting for the sign to change to go.

Velcrodog

Here in Michigan, when you come to a stop sign, but don't come to a complete stop and just slowly roll through the intersection, it's known as a Michigan stop. Since we all come from different parts of the country and world. What, if anything is it called where you live?
A ticket.

BULLWINKLE

A large fine here if you're caught.

Top Bottom