Help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LMLangevin

I belong to a community woodshop and recently our tail stock won't tighten on my mandrel saver. It will tighten somewhat, but the blanks will still catch and spin. When I try to tighten the tail stick the handle seems to start threading out rather than tightening.
One of the guys took it apart and he said he can't figure out what's wrong. He thinks it's not meant to tighten this much??
Its a King model H-1000.

egnald

I am not at all familiar with that lathe, but it doesn't sound right that the handwheel should thread out. Most lathe tailstock assemblies have a great deal of mechanical advantage and are meant to press tightly against work so things are held securely. Perhaps the next time it is taken apart the parts can be laid out and some pictures taken. I'm sure it would help the IAP members try to diagnose the problem and offer potential solutions. I wish I could be of more help. - Dave

jttheclockman

May I suggest you take a photo of the set up so it gives us a better idea of what you are doing. Set it up exactly the way you are trying to use it. Could be something simple. Also is your tailstock creeping on you? In that it is not truely locking down? As you tighten the hand wheel watch to see if the whole tailstock assembly is moving. If you have to draw a line on the ways before you spin hand wheel. That is the first place to look. Also make sure the tailstock is drawn all the way in before moving against the mandrel saver.

Top Bottom