HELP!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

emtmike

OK I am going to show my lack of knowledge here and ask some questions. I have just started pen turning and I am hooked. There is no one in my area that gives a class on how to turn so I have to bug you guys for some “how to do this†type of things.
So far I sanding with Micro-Mesh through to 12000 and then shellawax and love the shine it gives. I haven’t been doing this long enough to know that shine will not last very long. I read a lot about CS. What is it? What kind do I need. Thick, thin, fast drying etc? Where can I get it? How do I use it? That’s it for now. Please help! Thanks MIKE
[?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

CS? Do you mean CA? If so it is superglue http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11237
this is a link to one of our bulk buy CA suppliers.

vick

They are all pretty fast drying[:D]
Personally I use thin to seal the blank then Medium as my top coat.

as far as a tutorial
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11970
One of our members has recently done a detailed description of his method.

Hope this helps.

its_virgil

There is a good article in the articles list by Fred Munday on how to apply a CA finish. Some use boiled linseed oil and others do not. Other members have posted their method of doing a CA finish. A search will probably find you more info than you want. Pick a method, they are all similar, and perfect it. You will find a CA finish routine at http://ww.bubbasville.com and we even have a forum here just on finishing. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of penturning and the IAP forums.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by emtmike
<br />Sorry I mean CA not CS. See what do I know?

guts

Emt,with the lathe running as slow as possible you just squeeze a little ca on the blank and act like you are sanding it very lightly,better get some plastic gloves or you will have paper towel stuck to your fingers,that's what i heard any.

vick

some people use sandpaper when applying thin ca to fill the pores, some do not. I had never done it before but tried it after reading Fangars article and was quite pleased with the result. I think most would use paper towel or someting similiar (wax paper, plastic baggie, dress makers batting, ect) when doing the top coat.
Everyone had their own opinions on CA finishing. I would recomend following one or 2 of the tutorial to the T and seeing what you think works best.

reed43

Try using the little bags that all pen kits come in. Just put one on your finger with your lathe on as slow as it will run,put a few drops on your blank and smooth out with your finger. Let dry and sand as needed.

clewless

Someone else suggested q-tips...I went that route and have been pleased. By the way, boiled linseed oil is prone to spontaneous combustion. I keep trash stuff like that in a tin can with water till I can get rid of it.

Joe in MD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom