Help with Pen Cleaning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

Hi all, I had a Schmidt 888 cartridge come apart inside a pen. The pen is a semi-translucent material such that you can now see some ink staining. I want to scrub out the inside of the pen with a pipe cleaner. Does anyone know of a good solvent that will handle the black ink that's in there, but not harm the pen material? This doesn't help: I didn't make the pen so I don't know exactly what the material is. It looks like a standard acrylic pearl-flake type material, however. I don't think it's cellulose acetate, which I know tends to react unfavorably with acetone.

I was thinking I'd try DNA. Water doesn't seem to be doing much.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

If I recall correctly, rollerball ink is typically water-based so I'd try a mild detergent (e.g. Dawn dishwashing liquid) and water first. If that didn't work, I'd try eyeglass cleaner and then alcohol.

Definitely avoid acetone. It will damage acrylic (and many other plastics too).

I hope that helps,
Eric

monophoto

The only thing I would add to Eric's suggestion is that if you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, using that in conjunction with warm water and a mild dishwashing detergent could be effective.

I would avoid pipecleaners - there is a wire embedded inside the fiber outer coating that could damage the pen body. Instead, go to your pharmacy and get a supply of the long swabs that are used for COVID testing. If the tool is safe enough to shove up your nose without penetrating your brain, it is safe enough to clean the inside of a pen. Alternate swabbing out the inside with letting the pen soak in the detergent in the ultrasonic cleaner - the ultrasonic vibration will loosen the dried ink so that you can then swab it out.

darrin1200

You always need to have caution, when using any solvent on any pen.
DNA won't likely clean the ink out.

This is from Goulet Pens

There are quite a few pen flush recipes, for pen flush, online. Usually, it is about 9:1 distilled water to ammonia, with a drop of dish detergent. Ive never made my own, as I have a large bottle of JB Perfect Pen flush.

NOTE - Warning
Do not mix pen flush or any ammonia product with bleach. It can create lethal fumes.

EricRN

The only thing I would add to Eric's suggestion is that if you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, using that in conjunction with warm water and a mild dishwashing detergent could be effective.

I would avoid pipecleaners - there is a wire embedded inside the fiber outer coating that could damage the pen body. Instead, go to your pharmacy and get a supply of the long swabs that are used for COVID testing. If the tool is safe enough to shove up your nose without penetrating your brain, it is safe enough to clean the inside of a pen. Alternate swabbing out the inside with letting the pen soak in the detergent in the ultrasonic cleaner - the ultrasonic vibration will loosen the dried ink so that you can then swab it out.
Good thought re the swabs vs pipecleaners, and good call on the ultrasonic cleaner. I don't have one, but might be worth an investment if I can't otherwise get it clean with the swabs.

Charlie_W

With an ultrasonic cleaner, you probably will need to pad the bottom so the ultrasonic cleaner doesn't cause rub marks on the pen barrel. A layer or two of paper towel should do the trick.

Top Bottom