Help please, using forum software

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Ever since the big software change, I have felt that either forum participation had dropped off coincident with the change, or that I just was being a befuddled old guy, unprepared to deal with the change. 🤔 Now I know what it is...befuddled!

I confirmed befuddledment when checking to see if there were any responses to my thread on using a bench for support when turning. With the old software, I could come on the 'Home' page and there would be EVERY new thread AND EVERY previously viewed thread that had any new posts since my last visit. All in one place. That includes threads from ALL IAP forums. Today I came on IAP 'HOME' and did not see any new posts to my thread, indicating not much interest. Then I went to the 'Penturning' forum where my thread is posted, only to discover that a post or two had been made. So here is my question. Is there a single place to go on IAP to see everything that has been posted since my last visit (new threads, and any new posts to existing threads)?
I visit IAP once or twice each day. I am trying hard to become unbefuddled!🤔

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

In your preferences there is a way to set up notices to responses to your threads. They show up at the top right under the envelope next to your name.

SteveG

Dale, thanks very much for the response. I need to clarify...The issue is not responses to MY threads. I was just using that as an example, and thereby created some confusion. The issue is more of a general one: How do I come on to IAP, hopefully at one window, and see every new thread, and every thread that has had a response posted to it, since my last visit to the site? This, based on checking in typically every day. That is how the 'old' IAP worked, I liked it, and would like to like it that way on the 'new' IAP. :cool:

Ironwood

It does take a bit of getting used too, but I am slowly warming to the new style.

When you open up the forum, look for the "new posts" button up at the top of the screen. Click on that, this will bring up all new posts since your last visit. When you click on a thread title, it will take you to where you last read to on your last visit.
I find doing it this way, I don't miss out on anything.

Edit- the "what's new" button does not work the same way, so I avoid that one.

randyrls

You can always create a direct link to almost any page on the web site, Just display the page and click and drag the address line where ever you want it. My link is in the bookmarks toolbar on Firefox.

greenacres2

In the banner going across the top, click the little triangle next to (on the right) of the words "What's new", and a drop-down menu will pop up. One of the choices is "New Posts"--which does what Steve is asking. It's what i use every time i log in.
Or...click right on "What's new", and a sub-menu will come up, "New Posts" is the second one in. (sometimes i miss the triangle--that's how i know!!)
Good luck!!
earl

SteveG

ALRIGHT!! With your combined responses, my befuddlement is pushed aside (ready to rear its head on another day). I now have a 'Button'(right there next to "Amazon") on my desktop that takes me directly to the "New Posts" on IAP, which is exactly what I want to happen. Mission accomplished. Thanks to all.👍👍

More4dan

The Mobile App has a couple features the website doesn't that I find very helpful. One is "Participated". This only list the post you either started or commented. It's a quick way to check for responses to question or comments.

There is another "Unread" filters just the post you haven't read, old or new. Allows me to catch up.

And one more I like is it lets me click on a check in a circle above a post I want see later. It saves it like a favorite in a group called "Subscribed".

These are part of the TapTalk version of the Mobile site I access from my Apple phone and tablet.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

jttheclockman

I am with Don on this. I thought I would get a better feel for this site over time but never really happened and now just muddle through. The site to me has a colder feel to it compared to what the other site had. I could list many things in my mind that support that but will leave it alone. It is what it is.

To the OP, what I do is always click on "whats new" and it takes me to all the latest posts that I have seen or not seen. If I had not seen they are in dark blue and if seen they are light blue. Click on a dark blue and it takes me to the last post that I did not see no matter where that is in the thread. That is how I view the site.

Curly

With Safari (might be displayed differently with other platforms and browsers) under the Home button is New Posts. Clicking on it shows all the new stuff since you last looked. At the end of that list it shows posts with new material you didn't look at when you last were on. That is very much like the old forum was.

Top Bottom