Help please, my son joined the Army

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joebobber

My son graduates high school next month and joined the Army. He goes to basic in June at Columbia, SC. I'm having trouble deciding what direction to go with a pen for him.

I really like those army button pen blanks, but then those metalic ones with embossed stars are pretty cool too.

I can't even decide on a kit. He has been helping us at every show so he is pretty familiar with most kits. I want to blow him away but just can't decide on what to do. If I should do a higher end rollerball or a majestic squire.

Anyone have any ideas? I could REALLY use some.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darios

From a practicality standpoint I'd start with a kit that uses the G2 parker style refill - that way you can use the Fisher 'space' pen refill in it. Field conditions and all that. (if it ain't rainin' you ain't trainin')

A slim profile married to a tough kit would be useful. Possibly avoid the shiny colors like gold or chrome if you are thinking he's going to use it in the field. Maybe an EDC Anvil in gun metal - https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKANVGM.html

If you are set for engraving or water slide decals you might want to do something based on the MOS he's going into. (I'm assuming he's going in enlisted)

Thin Green Line from PSI would make a nice blank too. https://www.pennstateind.com/store/WXTGL.html

Here's a Green Knight which might be a bit much but is kinda cool looking https://www.tennesseepensupply.com/store/p77/Thin_Green_Line_/_Kneeling_Knight.html#/

Many of the camo options work -

And the Stars and Stripes never goes wrong.

But outside of that - a good pen is a good pen.

But they are (likely) going to get lost, get run over, left in the laundry, used to punch holes in the tarp, maybe even an field expedient tent stake... so if it were me instead of just one pen, I'd look at sending one every 6 months or so. :)

darrin1200

If you can, find the pen with the shortest clip you can. When you see vintage pens with a really short clip, these were referred to as military clips. They were short so that when clipped in the breast pocket, they would be completely covered by the pocket flap. Nothing is permitted to "poke out" of the uniform, unless you want to give the Sergeant-Major apoplexy.

Joebobber

He's going as a cyber security network type thing so i was thinking more of a desk type pen. I can't remember what exactly, but he had to have a really high asvab score to get it, and it's a big position.

greenacres2

Regardless of hardware, using wood from YOUR property if at all possible would be my suggestion. No matter where in the world he is, his writing would be in touch with his roots, and on tough days may remind him of what he's defending for us.
Thanks to you and your family for loaning him to us!!
earl

Joebobber

Don't know about Army boot camp, but Navy BC issued us mechanical pencils that we were required to use... he might have to save the pen for when he finishes boot and is assigned to a unit.
That's more what im looking at. But after boot camp he goes to Missouri for job training. Are you allowed to bring stuff from home with you to boot camp even?

Joebobber

I just ordered a Desire kit. I like the idea of the stainless kit. Now, what the heck do I put on the thing...

I was thinking about 1 of those army button blanks, but I think i killed that with the kit choice.

woodwzrd

I just ordered a Desire kit. I like the idea of the stainless kit. Now, what the heck do I put on the thing...

I was thinking about 1 of those army button blanks, but I think i killed that with the kit choice.
There was a post on here of some micarta blanks made from retired USMC BDU's. I'm pretty sure the original maker (Ken Frisbe) had some from Army BDU's as well. That would be pretty sweet on the stainless kit.

Here is the link to the original post.

Joebobber

There was a post on here of some micarta blanks made from retired USMC BDU's. I'm pretty sure the original maker (Ken Frisbe) had some from Army BDU's as well. That would be pretty sweet on the stainless kit.

Here is the link to the original post.
Yeah that's what Im talking about. Since he goes to all our shows and helps he sees everything. I've never done micarta before, and out of fatigues is perfect!

cozee

Give him a Marine Corps pen... thus giving him a subtle hint he went into the wrong branch of service. :D
OooRah! On a secondary note, avoid pens that look like a firearm or are made of firearm parts or ammunition. They will be confiscated at most TSA check-ins at airports.

Blood Woodson

That's more what im looking at. But after boot camp he goes to Missouri for job training. Are you allowed to bring stuff from home with you to boot camp even?
I went through Air Force boot in 2007. They just locked away all the stuff we brought in a closet. One thing you can do it give it to him upon his basic training graduation if you are going to attend. Or get it to him at his training station.

MTViper

I agree with the idea of making him something for graduation. During basic, he won't have much opportunity to have any unique or personal items. When I went to basic they took away your toothbrush and issued you a new one. For any military member, a bolt action is always a winner, especially the ones with the eagle and flag on the clip. PSI has a "Salute the Troops" bolt action kit that looks nice. I prefer the regular brass Bald Eagle kits.

The US Army blanks are nice, but if you pour your own blanks, get a copy of his unit patch and make a pen with that on the barrel, always a hit.
Steve

WriteON

Something like this

Attachments

• C881F3B8-9C63-4958-807E-13EF9AC9970D.jpeg
    C881F3B8-9C63-4958-807E-13EF9AC9970D.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 45
  • EA5B289B-D656-40E0-B339-33469D590163.jpeg
    EA5B289B-D656-40E0-B339-33469D590163.jpeg
    480.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 04AAA204-4644-4CC4-BD32-71A5F078DD9C.jpeg
    04AAA204-4644-4CC4-BD32-71A5F078DD9C.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 6D7312B9-005F-47EB-8293-AE689B24FC86.jpeg
    6D7312B9-005F-47EB-8293-AE689B24FC86.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 47

sbwertz

My son graduates high school next month and joined the Army. He goes to basic in June at Columbia, SC. I'm having trouble deciding what direction to go with a pen for him.

I really like those army button pen blanks, but then those metalic ones with embossed stars are pretty cool too.

I can't even decide on a kit. He has been helping us at every show so he is pretty familiar with most kits. I want to blow him away but just can't decide on what to do. If I should do a higher end rollerball or a majestic squire.

Anyone have any ideas? I could REALLY use some.
Go with a slimline. The uniform has a pen pocket on it, but it is very narrow. That is why our "pens for troops" are always slimlines.

sbwertz

I just looked it up...apparently they have changed the uniform and now have a large multi-pen pocket that will take larger pens. but no pen pocket in dress greens any more. It was the dress greens that had the narrow pen pocket that would only hold a slimline.

Joebobber

I decided to go with the McKenzie box with the Desire in it. For the blank I went with a fatigue micarta from Ken Frisbee. I'm going to try to turn the body down and cast an army button onto it. I just have to wait for the box from McKenzie. I'll post a picture here when i finish.

Joebobber

I went through Air Force boot in 2007. They just locked away all the stuff we brought in a closet. One thing you can do it give it to him upon his basic training graduation if you are going to attend. Or get it to him at his training station.
We are planning on going to his graduation from basic in September I believe it is. That's probably when i will give it to him.

sbwertz

We are planning on going to his graduation from basic in September I believe it is. That's probably when i will give it to him.
Yeah, in basic you really can't have anything that isn't military issue. When I was in, everything you owned fit in a footlocker except your uniforms and they hung in a metal locker similar to what we had in high school. Everything you owned had to fit in those and be opened and available for weekly inspection. The rest was put into storage until you graduated.

TonyL

I will donate a McKenzie Coyote Click, Liberty Click, or Liberty Twist. Just send me your address. BTW, it is not my generosity, it is by way of Tim McKenzie's.

Joebobber

Did you finish the pen? Would like to see it.

Mike
I posted pictures in a new thread, sorry. I only have this picture of it now, i got a new phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230908_090959_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230908_090959_Gallery.jpg
    771.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20230908_092718_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230908_092718_Samsung Internet.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 39

Joebobber

My son, if the schedule hasn't changed, will be finishing the anvil today and then go to blue phase. He is almost done! About all he has left to do is some grenade training and the Forge. He is the platoon leader. He was going to go in, keep his head down and try to stay middle of the pack and ends up being the platoon leader.

Here is the greatest picture ever. Him coming out of the gas Chamber

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230902_211220_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230902_211220_Messages.jpg
    637.6 KB · Views: 41

Mike

My son, if the schedule hasn't changed, will be finishing the anvil today and then go to blue phase. He is almost done! About all he has left to do is some grenade training and the Forge. He is the platoon leader. He was going to go in, keep his head down and try to stay middle of the pack and ends up being the platoon leader.

I bet that's no fun. I have known folks that had to do that and they said some people really don't handle it well.

Mike

darrin1200

Been there and done that, a few times.
Going from keeping his head down to being platoon leader, means the training did its job.
Basic training can really seem over harsh, but it is designed to groom a grow soldiers.

sbwertz

AARGH...I remember the gas chamber! Go in with your gas mask in your hand, put it on and clear it. Come out with your eyes and nose running like a faucet!

Top Bottom