Help me spent my wifes money

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

OKLAHOMAN

My lovely wife just gave me an early b/d present $1,000.00. Heres my problem. I know I will spend around $300.00 on a dust collection system and have $700.00 left. I would like a new lathe but which one?. I now have a shop fox mini ver. speed with a #1 mt and its only 7 mos. old and I would like to learn to turn sm bowls. Any money left from buying a lathe would be used for wood and kits. Also my shop is small and I would not have room for two lathes so the new one would have to be small enough to turn pens and also large enough to turn small to med. bowls. Sorry for rambeling but she never ceases to amaze me after 35 years.

mrcook4570

If you already have a lathe, just use it and send the cash to me. I'll be glad to help you spend it[:p].

Seriously though, the shop fox should be fine for small bowls. Use the money to invest in a good chuck and bowl gouge. Then you will have some $$$ leftover for wood & pen kits. And don't forget to take your wife out to a nice restaurant [:D]

thetalbott4

Stan hit it on the head. I would suggest getting the best chuck you can get ahold of that has adapters for the shaft threads, that way when you move up to a bigger lathe ventually, you will already have a quality chuck that will fit. All you will hafta do is buy the new adapter. And as Stan said, good quality gouge ($50 - 75) and a good slow speed grinder ($80 - 100) to keepem sharp if your not setup with one yet. A bowl turning class would be good also if that is available. And the best idea is taking the lady out for a nice evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom